Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
knees feel like they need to be stretched

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

When I go to bed, my legs begin to crawl in the knees.  They feel like they need to stretched until they pop, kinda like popping a knuckle.  This feeling keeps me up all night and to the point of tears and exhaustion.  I get up and down every 10 minutes because that is all I can take.  My brain is ready for sleep but my knees wanna be pulled.  I don't think it is RLS because I do not involuntarily kick my legs, I just stiffen them up, trying to stretch them as long as I can.  What can cause this and is there something I can do to prevent it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You're right...it doesn't sound like typical RLS. Have you told your doctor about this? It still may be worthwhile to see a sleep medicine doctor about it.
I have the same sensation.  But I get it also when seated for a long time, like while sitting on the couch watching TV, or sitting at a movie.  And I definitley get it more at night, and when lying in bed.  It does not keep me up all night, but it's very annoying because I can't hold still for long.  But it doesn't sound like RLS either.  It's like a gnawing discomfort and I absolutely HAVE to extend the leg straight and stretch the knee joint.  I wish I knew what it was!!!  It also happens more on the right leg than on the left, for some reason.
I have a sleep study appointment next month and I will follow up and see if anything is found.