Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
loss of self

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

loss of self

It has been around 4 to 5 years since ive felt like myself. I dont know what happened. A story in brief is this; I wake up every morning and im jittery, i cant control it. I try everyday to start my day as a normal person, but no matter what i do i cant. i feel completely wiped out (as if i havent slept in weeks). around an hour after i wake up i feel an uncontrollable feeling of doubt as well as so many others. No matter what i try to do to stimulate my mind to make myself start off right, nothing works. Its no later than an hour after i wake up it feels like ive been up for the last 6 days. im irritable, confused by my surroundings, my stomach hurts and my body hurts, (often times ive thrown up). Completely stressed and feeling drained like something ive never fellt before prior..I try to reboot myself but it never works. the entire day i feel like im hung over and more tired than ive ever been in my entire life.I cant sit in a classroom without anxiety picking up or having uncontrollable twitches to the point where i cant even be there anymore. I feel as if i work off my basic socializing skills that i learned prior to all of this happening to me., yeah, i can hang out with people, but im working off skills ive learned from the past not feeling anything new. completely dry, mind, soul, and body. I feel as if im a person who has not slept in more than a week with the most massive hangover ive ever felt. my articulation is terrible, my ability to lay out a day is just forgotten, i feel as if im existing and not living....always tired, high anxiety, always confused, unable to socialize like i used to, and the inability to understand my surroundings and process the information thats involved in my life.any answers? ideas?......im 21.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your condition sounds like it can be due to a number of different conditions, but from my perspective, you could have a sleep-breathing disorder. Particularly if you have any or all of the following:

you can't (or prefer not to) sleep on your back,
one or both of your parents snore heavily
you're tired all the time, no matter how long you sleep.

First of all, make sure that you address any underlying depression/anxiety issues with a professional. If all else fails, and you answered yes to the conditions I outlined above, take a look at my earlier blog articles on this website, as well as my book, Sleep, Interrupted.
Thank you for your response,
  My friend introduced me to this website because i am a student who has no health insurance.. My father does have sleep apnea, he wears a breathing mask for his snoring. For some reason ive been told that i often breath heavily when stressed and around time to sleep. If there is further information that you could give me pertaining to this condition that would be greatly appreciated. Ill be reading all of the info that you have assessable.
These relaxation techniques will help you with sleep apnea and other problems.  Do it with concentration and with eyes closed.Do it and feel the benefit naturally.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 10 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Ujjayi pranayam
First exhale fully through the nose.
During inhalation your glottis should remain partially closed. Glottis is the opening between the vocal chords.While inhaling, produce a sound as if you are sobbing, by partially closing the glottis.(This is reverse of clearing your throat, where your are exhaling).
The face muscles should not be contracted during inhalation. Abdominal muscles should be well controlled. Inhale smoothly and uniformly.
After deep inhalation, retain your breath as long as possible. While retaining breath do Jalandhara bandh (lock your chin, touch your chin with your chest).Initially, try to retain breath for 8 to 10 seconds. Gradually increase the time of retention of breath.
After retaining breath, first open the Jalandhar bandh(chin up) and then, close right nostril and exhale slowly through left nostril. The glottis should all along remain partially closed.This is one set of ujjayi.
Do this for 5 to 20 times everyday.
Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times

The sleep apnea problem will ease gradually, so allow a few weeks to notice benefits.
Please come back to report your progress, so others may benefit.