Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
mixed apnea and ischemic heart disease

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

mixed apnea and ischemic heart disease

Is it possible for mixed sleep apnea to develop after Quad bypass surgery? Surgery 2/2006. No prior history of snoring or gasping for breath. Within 8 mos of surgery, my wife noticed occasional lite snoring and gasping. I thought it was just a result of the surgery and medications, until recently.  For the past 3 yrs I thought my constant fatigue and daytime drowsiness was strictly a result of CAD. Finally after a sleep study, I was diagnosed with mixed sleep apnea, on 4/01/2010. I have only been able to find 2  German medical studies that indicate a possible ischemic heart disease causation of mixed apnea. I am in the process of dealing with the VA Administration, attempting to show a linkage between my heart disease and the recent sleep apnea diagnosis. Thanks for your help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It's more likely that you had sleep apnea all along, which is a major risk factor for heart disease. After any kind of major surgery, due to lower levels of activity or weight gain or even being forced to sleep on your back, can aggravate pre-exisitng sleep apnea. My feeling is that anyone with heart disease should be screened for sleep apnea.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on mixed (or complex) sleep apnea. However, one recent study showed that untreated sleep apnea leads to brain tissue density lowering in various areas of the brain including memory, executive function, and breathing and respiration centers.