Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
obstructive sleep apnea-2yr old

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

obstructive sleep apnea-2yr old
The Dr. said she needs her tonsils taken out very badly, but that she is very high risk because of age and weight.  Are their any options other than surgery until she can get older and weigh more.  What are the risks of the apnea, if we just wait.  She hasn't been eating good and has stoped gaining weight and I think she is starting to loose. She will be 2 next week so she is still aways from the golden age of tonsil removal.
Your situation has to be discussed with your ENT on an individual basis. I can't make a recommendation without personally seeing your daughter. There are not absolutes in terms of age and weight. Ultimately, there will always be pros and cons, and that's a decision that you'll have to make with your pediatrician and ENT surgeon. Good luck.