Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
sleep apnea results

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

sleep apnea results

sleep apnea results:they used (eeg( (emg) (ekg)
Mrs. Reyes slept 272.30 min out of 348.7 min in bed for a decreased sleep efficiency of 78.1% the sleep latency was normal at 24.3 min 79.1% of the total sleep time was spent in the supine position. stage 1sleep was normal at 11.4% stage 2 sleep was increased at 72.1% slow wave sleep total was absent at0.00% with stage 3 sleep absent at 0.0% and stage 4 sleep at 0.0% there was 3 rem sleep periods rem sleep was normal at 16.5% the rem latency was at 123.5 min..
the overall apnea hypopnea index was mild at 6.2 events/hr. the remspecific index was 1.3 events/hr the supine index was 7.8 events/hr there was 28 obstructive hypopneas with a mean duration of 14.8 seconds mean saturation was 98.2 with a nadir saturation in non- rem sleep of 98.0% and in rem sleep of 96.0% 100.0% of the study time wasspent with saturation in the 90-100% range.0.0% of thestudy time wasspent with a saturation below 90% there were 28 arousals related to respiratory events with an index of 6.2 arousals/hr there were 72 spontaneous arousals noted with an idex of 15.9 arousals/hr the etiology of some of these was upper airway resistance . snoring was moderate

mean heart rate was 75.4bpm. heart rate ranged from 61.0 to 114.0 normal sinus rhythm
      can you tell me please how did this test come out  thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Usually, interpretations should be done in light of the entire clinical picture. Sleep studies can be a confusing mix of numbers, and must be taken literally.

Overall, it looks like you didn't sleep that well, and you didn't reach deep nonREM sleep (stages 3&4). You had 6 hypopneas every hour, worse in REM sleep (since your muscles relax the most during this stage). You slept almost 80% of your time one your back, but there's no mention of what the breakdown is on your back vs. not on your back. You also had lots of arousals, some which were due to slight breathing pauses not long enough to be called apneas. Hypopneas are breathing pauses lasting longer than 10 seconds, but still with limited airflow.

You will probably be given a diagnosis of mild obstructive sleep apnea or upper airway resistance syndrome. Treatment using the standard options are possible, but it's hard to say if you'll benefit at all without trying.
Thank you Doctor, Can you tell me what would the standard options be to try.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Please take a look at my article on obstructive sleep apnea in my blog section. You'll find all your answers there.