Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
toddler sleep problem

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

toddler sleep problem

My daughter is 30 months old. She was full term but was colic while for the first 4 months. She was always on Pro-sobie formula and soy milk. She eats well and plays well but has never slept well.

While an infant, she did not get the recommended amount of sleep. She would wake up during naps too early and would wake frequently during the night having a hard time getting back to sleep. As a toddler, she has gotten worse. She sleeps great for naps, between 1 hour and 90 minutes. She goes down for naps typically with no problem and wakes up needing a few minutes to wake up before playing again. We have a night routine in place where she gets a bath, snack, I read her a few books, rock her and lay her down awake. She goes to sleep on her own. By between 1 – 3 she wakes up crying and I go in her room and lay on her floor. 10% of the time she will fall asleep on her own again in her crib, 50% percent of the time she needs to fall asleep next to me either on the floor or on the couch, 40% of the time she stays awake for 90 minutes to 3 hours and cannot do anything to get her back to sleep until she passes out. We have tried the Ferber method, family bed and cutting naps. Nothing works.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I'm assuming that you want to know if this maybe is a sleep-breathing problem. Since one sleep cycle is about 90 minutes, it's not surprising that she take short naps well, but keeps waking up at the same time every night. At around 90 minutes, muscles start to relax and breathing problems can happen. There are variation with younger children, however. Do either you or her father have any sleep-breathing issues (snoring, sleeps on side/stomach, chronically tired, etc.)? Have you talked to your pediatrician? I won't give you a long list of things to try (I'm sure you've already tried them). Worse case scenario, a consultation with a pediatric sleep specialist may be your next step.