Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
trouble sleeping

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

trouble sleeping

For a little over a year I have been weight training. Five days a week of intense lifting, around 2 o'clock combined with six days if serious cardio which I have always done with no problems. About 2 months ago I began to have trouble sleeping. Not getting to sleep till 4,5 or 6 in the morning. I gave up all the workout energy drinks and weights while on vacation felt better for a week or so, I decided it must be the energy drinks and gave them up but the trouble sleeping continues. Is this a common side effect for weight training. It is not sore muscles keeping me up it feels im full of adreniline. Others at the gym think is fine and say its my metablisim. If I lay off the weights it seems to help but im not willing to quit.  Any advise?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Intense exercise can be stimulating. You did the right thing by stopping your energy supplements. You may want to get evaluated by a sleep doctor for insomnia if your conditions doesn't improve. Incidentally, many professional body builders and weight lifters snore and have obstructive sleep apnea. If you snore, even more reason to get tested.