Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
why do i stop breathing at night

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

why do i stop breathing at night

I have had problems with after I fall asleep that I stop breathing and I get jolted awake gasping for air.  My father and my uncle have also told me about these problems that they themselves have had but never told me that they have totally stopped breathing and been gasping for air.  I can almost pin point the nights when I am going to have this problem.  I start uncontrollably twitching then i fall asleep and the next thing I know is that i wake up gasping for air.  I have had asthma since i can remember but never had this bad of a problem with my breathing until after I had my daughter three years ago.  I dont want to go to a doctor unless it is really a need to situation.  But I hate waking up that way because I never can get back to sleep for fear that it will happen again.  I just would like to know if this is something that I should be concerned about or if it is just a normal thing that will eventually go away.  Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Christen1,

What you're describing sounds like breathing pauses. Most people experience this occasionally, but if the pause lasts longer than 10 seconds, then that's called an apnea. First try to avoid eating close to bedtime and the same for alcohol. Sleep on your side or stomach. Weight gain after pregnancy can aggravate this problem. If it doesn't go away, you may want to consider seeing a sleep specialist.
From a recent sleep study, I stop breathins 11 times per hour.  Is this considered severe? I just can't stand the idea of the CPAP machine. Afraid I would never use it and ok with the consequensis.  Help!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
An AHI of ii times per hour is considered mild. Take a look at my articles on sleep apnea for other options.