Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
yawning while sleeping

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

yawning while sleeping
My son is 8 yrs old.  He has had sleeping problems since he is very young.  He still wets the bed; he often jerks while sleeping; grinds his teeth; and sometimes sleep walks.  However the one that concerns us the most is yawning while sleeping because of the lack of oxygen.  He gets about 10 hours of sleep a night.  His day is fine with energy but often by late afternoon his balance is effected.  Example running up the stairs he will fall.  During hockey games if he is tired he will not have the balance like usual.  I have tried vitamins; healthy diet; different sleeping habbits...nothing seems to work.  It is as if he doesn't fall into the proper stages of sleep...plus yawning during the entire night.  Should I bring him to  a sleep clinic?
Absolutely. All the symptoms you're describing are consistent with sleep apnea. He needs a comprehensive sleep evaluation.