Sleep Disorders Community
33 years old and afraid to sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

33 years old and afraid to sleep

I recently had a sleep study done that found sleep apnea.  The specialist I went too wants me to get a Bi-Pap machine which is way out of my price line.  When I asked about my other sleep disorders he told me they were unrelated and told me "just don't worry about it"  I have night terrors(lifelong), I sleep walk, I sleep eat, and of course the fun one for my whole family, I yell in my sleep.  I wake up also about 4 or 5 times a night.  Sleeping pills don't work.  I have also tried melatonin, valerian root, and various other crap the nature store gave me.  I have experimented with time frames of my work outs, eating habits, and locations of reading habits.  Nothing helps.  I also had my gall bladder removed about 6 months ago, now I'm gaining weight.  I've heard it's because of my ibs and the surgery.  I say it doesn't help to wake up next to whatever food I get my hands on in the middle of the night.  I work shift work in emergency services and I am so tired all the time I can't think straight.  I am starting to get extremely depressed about the whole thing.  I just want to sleep without waking up and feeling like I'm loosing my mind.  I don't know what else to do.  
I also have sleep apnea, and experienced ALL the symptoms.  I Went to sleep clinic and precribed a VPAP Auto 25, which is the top of the line. evidently I was not breathing on my back, I got the Machine, and the it took a month of getting use to it, but symptoms are gone and i actually wake up rested.  Check with the sleep clinic or hospital social worker, maybe they can come up with a plan to get machine.  Untreated sleep apnea can lead to fatal complications/  good luck.
Like twistednurse, treating my sleep apnea has made a big difference in my quality of life. Please consider that many of your other issues could stem from the sleep apnea. Lack of oxygen to the brain during apnea has to do strange things to the brain. I had nightmares all the time before treating my apnea, now I rarely ever have a bad dream. Waking up a lot - common with sleep apnea. Weight gain - common with the sleep deprived. Food cravings - also common when the body is depleted of energy and desperately seeks something to give it the energy it's not getting from sleep. Sleeping pills don't work - that's because they don't correct the root problem - sleep apnea. And please don't take sedatives - it can worsen untreated sleep apnea symptoms. Tired, can't think straight, depression, feel like losing mind - not to sound like a broken record, but, classic sleep apnea symptoms. I really hate telling you that you really MUST get a machine when I can't tell you how to make it happen. But you really do need to find a way. It's your best chance of getting your life back.
Bipap machine is covered by most insurance companies. This would al but cure you from your problem.