Sleep Disorders Community
5 Year old with Sleep Apnea
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

5 Year old with Sleep Apnea

I have a 5 year with sleep apnea.  He had his adnoids and tonsilles removed at 2. However the sleep apnea came back.  He's too young for the cpap.  What other options are there?  
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Unlike most of you I don't have the sensation of getting drowsy or wanting to nod off.  The first I know of it is when I abruptly awaken at the wheel and have no recollection of nodding off.  This only happens to me driving home from work in the afternoon over a 45 minute drive & can happen 5 or 6 times.  I get no warning or signs that its about to happen so its almost impossible to counteract..  
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You can make him sleep on his side, as a supine position aggravates apneas. Also, if there are any nasal blocks keep them patent with saline nasal sprays. And if overweight, aim for optimum weight, this will help reduce his symptoms.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Thanks for responding.  No he's not overweight only 47 pounds at age 5.  I'll try having him sleep in the supine position.  Thanks.
Blank
Hi,

No, not the supine position, avoid this position. Encourage him to sleep on his side. Stitch tennis balls to shirt or place pillows, so that he sleeps mostly on his sides. Regards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...