Sleep Disorders Community
Achy body only when sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Achy body only when sleeping

I am a 44 year old female. No health problems. But for some reason when I try to sleep my shoulder, arm muscles, and hip and leg muscles ache so bad (depending on which side I am sleeping on). I can't seem to stay comfortable. I toss and turn from one side to the other to feel relief. I swear I only stay asleep for about 20 minutes before I am woken up from throbbing pain in my shoulder, arm, hip and leg (on that side). So I toss over and fall asleep for another 10 - 20 minutes only to have it happen over and over all night. Once I am awake I don't have any pain issues during the day. I have tired many mattresses thinking i had a too firm mattress. I had an air-bed for years and kept it very soft and still had this issue. Someone told me it was too soft and I needed more support. I now have a regular mattress with a 3 inch memory foam topper. Very soft but lots of support underneath. Still can't sleep. I don't even know what type of doctor to see for pain at night. Has anyone else experienced pain like this at night? Oh, I am not over weight at all. I am 5'1" and about 112 pounds. So it can't be too much weight on my extremities. Any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it. I don't sleep at all anymore and feel like a zombie. I am starting to dread night time because I just lay there in misery from side to side.
     Thanks for writing in. Inability to sleep is a rising problem in today’s stressful lives. Are you working? If yes what kind of work do you do? Because if it involves sitting in front of the computer that might affect the sleep pattern as well as body aches.
Are you in your menopause? In menopause due to hormonal changes in the body there can be body pains.
Try practicing yoga before going to bed and having a shower before going to bed will also relieve the stress.
Inspite of these if you are facing this problem, visit a  neurologist.
All the best.

The purchase of a good memory foam topper is a good start but it sounds like more a systemic problem for you. It is possible that you're body is just not suited to longer periods of stillness so maybe napping in periods could be a way to avoid pain? Long term though, I suggest going to the doctors, maybe getting an MRI done