Sleep Disorders Community
Adderall and Insomnia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Adderall and Insomnia

Here is some background information you should know before I pose my question.  I have had insomnia for about 2 years now.  I've done everything in my power to help myself sleep and nothing works. I have taken melatonin, developed a sleep/wake cyle, meditated, aromatherapy, breathing exercises...NOTHING WORKS.  I was prescribed ambien about a year ago.  It worked for a while, and i only let myself take it once or twice a week to avoid dependy/tolerance.  Despite my limited usage of the drug, it now, a year later, fails to work.  A whole ambien of 12 milligrams will not keep me asleep for more then a few hours.  This does not cut it.  I've tried taking a combination of  roseram and lexapro ( to subdue my anxiety which is especially bothersome at night) as well which doesn't do anyting. I don't know whats wrong with me! I am a college student and its taking a huge toll on my academic performance, which i can't afford...

SO FINALLY THE QUESTION : Could adderall (adderrall) help my anxiety and help me sleep? ( it would be an indirect approach) please read to further understand.

They say adderall (adderrall) causes insomnia... Its obvious, adderall (adderrall) is a legal form of speed.  Most would say adderall (adderrall) is the last thing a restless person would or should take. However, at this point i see no other choice.  here is my rational.  --Because I cannot sleep, I lose the ability to focus in class.  Because I can't focus, I don't learn as much as I can during class time.  In turn it is harder for me to do my homework because I didn't absorb all the material from the lecture, and I am also extremely loopy due to the lack of sleep. All of these factors mixed together cause horrible anxiety at bed time because I worry about my future tasks, therefore causing insomnia. When i lay my head down at night, thoughts immediatley cloud my mind like "How am i going to study and do well on this exam if i can't focus."  

I feel that since I am not sleeping in the first place, I might as well use Adderall (adderrall) to heighten my daytime performance.  If i am able to get my work done because I am able to perform at my best, i may in turn be able to sleep at night because i won't have anxieties about having the ability to function enough to get my work done. Does this make sense or am I crazy? I would appreciate some feedback before i propose the idea to a doctor.  

Very interesting question, but I would actually think so. As looking it up, it releases Dopamine, which is the pleasure hormone, thus making you slightly happier, so I guess that part can overide the anxiety.

However, it also releases Noradrenaline, which is like adrenaline, and works in nearly the exact way, I can see that in a way, somewhat increasing anxiety, or making anxious moments worse. But looking it up, it's often used in antidepressants, which are also used to treat anxiety at times.

So my answer would be yes, it could, but when you panic, the already high Noradrenaline may make it worse. But I'm not 100% on this, this is just the theoretic side.

Cheers!

- John -
im not sure if that would work or not.  I have had insomnia for some time now may get 2-3 hours of sleep each night.  around 3 in the afternoon until 8 pm i can hardly stay awake.  but around 10-11 i try to go to sleep and back up by 12 up until about 4 then up at 6:30 for work.   I have tried klonopin, ativan, ambien cr, tonight for instance i took 1 ambien 4 1/2 mg of ativan and 1 1/2 mg of klonopin and i am wide awake.  Not quit sure the difference between adderall (adderrall) and benzo's.  I used to be on ridilin and now am on dexedrin which are both uppers but have sleep side affects that are supposed to make you sleepy .  I am at my whits end.  sorry not really much of an advice more than a comment and trying to learn what other people are trying.  I wish you the best of luck.