Sleep Disorders Community
Ambian

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Ambian

I can not sleep. I have taken every sleeping pill there is and took ambian for 2 yrs. I noticed memory loss along with some other stuff so I quit. I have had two blackout in the last two weeks. They come on for a short period. People tell me I act normal but I don't have that time in my memory. I hit the garage door with the first one and on the second one I pull into the garage and later discoverd I was touching the wall with the bumper. I went to bed and to sleep after both of these. Is this side affects from the ambian or from my sleep problem. I also have fibermyalgia (fibromyalgia) and take lyrica and Ultram. I have heart meds, thyroid,etc. What can I do about my sleep and what kind of doctor do I see for the blackouts. I am scared I am loosing it. Thanks for your help.
Have you asked the prescribing doctor(s) for your meds if they could have the side effect of blackouts?

Have you ever had a sleep study to see if a sleep disorder is causing your insomnia? Long term sleep problems can lead to sleep attacks, where one is "overcome" abruptly. I read lots of stories of people with fibromyalgia ending up finding they have sleep disorders that, when treated, greatly helps their fibromyalgia.

If it were me, I'd first want a sleep study. If nothing is found, then one med at a time (if any are suspect), wean off them and onto something else in its place.
Stop taking Ambien!!!!  I had this problem too!  Actually I did not sleep on Ambien, although I thought I did.  My husband clearly informed me that I had EXTREME OCD on it, did not sleep, and I complained I couldn't remember things.  I lost a whole weekend and I wasn't even on a full dose!  It's not your sleep issue it's the pill.  

You have a thyroid disorder too?  I believe that is why I don't sleep.  I joined the Thyroid Community on MedHelp and someone suggested bopping over here to try to get help with the sleep issue.  That this might aid in a better way to get to sleep.

May I ask how long you've had this sleep thing and what the details are?  With mine I can't fall asleep.  If I try to go to bed before my body is ready to pass out then I end up waking up!  It's rather frustrating.  It has slowly been getting worse over the last 5 years.  This year it's hit an all-time low.  In July I had 13 nights where I fell asleep by 2am.  And so far this month have only had 1 technically.  I'm currently sick so I've been sleeping round the clock, that is why I said technically.  I also suffer from night sweats which if I wake up from I just don't get back to sleep.  I never feel rested after I wake and really feel like a walking zombie!  

I had a night sleep study done which showed nothing.  I am trying to get a day sleep study done because when I sleep during the day I dream, but I do not do this at night.  I was told this is a very bad thing to dream during the day when I've only napped for an hour or two.  I don't know how much longer I'll have to wait but there are day time sleep issues called Hyper-Somnia (excessive sleep).  Which in turn causes Insomnia.  Some doctors will chalk this up to "if you aren't sleeping during the night then of course you'll sleep more during the day.  You need sleep hygiene and to get your circadian rhythm back to normal...blah blah blah."  But it is an honest to goodness sleep issue.  I've tried sleep hygiene and it just makes the Insomnia worse.  

I don't know I'd say start with stopping the Ambien until you can get to your doc.  Sleep walking/driving is a huge side effect of Ambien and you are supposed to stop it if this occurs.  That includes blackouts or loss of time.  Then ask for both sleep studies.  Go from there.  
What is a sleep attack???
I too cant dleep. Tried ambien,lunestra,mirtazaine,seroquel snd some otc slleep meds.  It is the most horrible thing because the meds cause me to sleep eat.  I wake with the need to feed...go into the kitchen and prepare food.  I've baked cupcakes, made coffee,ordered things on-line and do not remember it at all.  Valarien root, hopss, comforte, benadryle etc.