Sleep Disorders Community
Ambien versus temazepam

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Ambien versus temazepam

Does anyone have any information or experience regarding using ambien versus temazepam? I've been taking ambien for 60 days, and my Dr. today gave me a prescription for temazepam 15mg as an alternative to ambien. He said it should give me a few more hours of sleep. Ambien right now is good for about 5 hours of dead-to-the-world sleep, followed by a few hours of in-and-out sleep. Not very satisfying. Besides, I've taken it longer than I really wanted to. I'm not sure if temazepam is better, the same, or if I'm going from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. Any information/comments would be appreciated.
So I went ahead and and tried the temazepam last night. And it was a horrid night! I was awake every hour on the hour. 2am and I'm wide awake. I think I can tolerate the ambien for another month or two - the temazepam just didn't work as well, plus I think it is a lot more addictive than ambien at the higher dosage it would take to knock me out.
I take both together, but why didn't your doctor give you Ambien CR?  It's control released so it keeps you sleeping all through the night.

I do know that it's easier to get "off" Ambien than temazepam because it's in the class as Ativan which is very addictive.  Other than that, I don't know much about it, but I do know that if you have sleep apnea, my sleep doctor would rather I take Ambien than temazepam because of the respiratory suppression.  Tell him you want Ambien CR.
Ambien CR costs $200 versus $6 for the regular stuff. We did talk about it, and I wanted it, but at $200 a month it just ain't gonna happen. So I'm sticking with the Ambien for now. I don't really want to take higher dosages of temazepam. And like you say, getting off of ambien isn't that difficult, just a bit time consuming as you ramp down the dosage.
I don't know what your situation is, but a lot of times if you can't afford your medications you can write the company and they will help.  It's worth a try, I do know of people that get their medications free from the drug company once they wrote them a letter, you might see if there's some kind of form you can submit on the net.

Good luck.
I have been taking temazepam for about 2 weeks now and previously I was taking ambien for about 6 months so I feel that I can speak for the efficacy of both. Personally I prefer ambien; I think that it has a stronger bang whereas temazepam is almost like taking a muscle relaxer its effects are gentle and relaxing whereas the effect of ambien is a hypnotic.

I like Tamazepam much better than Ambien.   I have been taking Tamazepam for 1 year.  I took Ambien off and on for 10 years ....I was sleepwalking and doing all kinds of crazy things on Ambien anytime I used it for long term use.

Both make me hungry.  On Ambien, I would get up and eat in my sleep.  At least with Tamazepam, I remember eating a snack before bed.
Ive been taking Ambien CR and still have problems falling asleep. I usually go to bed around 10-11 with it and wake up around 3 then go back to sleep until 430-500. I need more than that so I was thinking about taking the temazpam with the Ambien CR right before bed. I will see how it effects me before getting into bed first. Should be interesting and hoping I dont feel "hung over" in the morning., Please anyone else that folllows this routine let me know your results or if i can be doing something better.. Thanks!
I have been on ambien on and off for years.  It seems to be the only thing that works for me.  Except I only sleep a couple hours and have to take another pill of 5mg. So that I can sleep a couple more hours.  I'm up to 15 mg each night. I run out of my prescription and have days before I can get my script filled. So I suffer those days with out ambien.  Anyone take more then a 15 mg dose? My doctor is trying to help my problem with insomia and thinking I have anxitey depression.  Tried 3 different meds for this so far. Amitriptoline, Effexor, and now Paxil.  These are all horrible meds.  Seems to make the insomia worse.  
One is a hypnotic and one a benzodiazepine. Been on both for years
Go to google and put I. Define *** u will get the best answers there.
Read more... Your sleep,,, sounds like your losing more sleep over the years?.. five hours is ok if its good sleep? So is this a slow moving sleep problem over years. Or a fast like I just stoped sleeping good last week. ? Ok their are ask yourself this do you fall asleep wile driving? Yes, no,? If no your sleep disorter. Is bad? Their are 3 dif sleep disorders. If you fall asleep wile driving your sleep problem is a dif fix drug and every thing .
Have you tried Trazodone at night for sleep? Ambien did not work that great for me so I'm know on Temazapam. But, Trazodone that they give at night and It will knock you out.