Sleep Disorders Community
Anxiety, Slightly Elevated Pulse, Insomnia, and Hands falling asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

So in the past month I have changed to a 66% raw food diet.  I have had excellent results with lowering my pulse and blood pressure which were only slightly above normal.  I was a half a pack a day smoker and now smoke about 5 cigarettes a day.  I know I need to quit and am planning on doing so.  My problem is about half the week I feel absolutely fantastic and the other half of the week I feel absolutely awful.  I think it has to do with the weekend.  I cannot figure out if it is mental or if it is because I enjoy a few beers on the weekend.  Usually I have some beers with my fellow teachers after we play badminton here in South Korea.  I then go home and am mostly alone on the weekend.  By Saturday afternoon I feel terrible although working out helps for a little while.  I have terrible thoughts about dead people or murderers breaking into my apartment.  I also incessantly monitor my heart rate which changes from my normal resting rate of 64bpm to about 82 bpm.  My living situation isn't great and since I live outside the city in the country I have to travel far to see friends which I do maybe once a month.  I don't know if it is a combination of loneliness, smoking, or being homesick but I absolutely hate this feeling.  What's worse is when I do fall asleep I have nightmares and also wake up with sleeping limbs.  I will try doing no alcohol to see if that works but am looking for a natural treatment or cure that is readily available to make myself feel better now.  I have this irrational fear of sleeping and I think because I live next to a busy highway my apartment is a stressful place no matter how clean I keep it.  I find myself counting down the days until I leave and even started packing a few things to keep my mind occupied.  Suggestions? P.S. the local doctor did an EKG on me and said I'm fine.  I have never been this concerned with my health which I think is a good thing for the future but a bad thing right now because I feel so helpless.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Understand your predicament. Your present state could be due to lack of adequate social interactions and your lifestyle. Your sleep symptoms could be due to sleep disorders like REM sleep behavior disorder or nightmare/night terror disorders. Here the person experiences symptoms of bad, frightening dreams which interfere with his sleep schedules. This is usually assessed by a set of questionnaires and the therapy is based on the severity of the disorder. I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation.

In the meantime, follow good sleep hygiene measures like going to bed at the same time, waking up at the same time, avoidance of alcohol, smoking and caffeinated beverages. Maintain warm, comfortable bedroom environment and engage in relaxing activities like a warm bath before bed time. Hope This Helped and Do Keep Us Posted!!
Anxiety can be Caused by Adrenalin Rush, and Hypertension. Stop drinking to much Caffeine based drinks, drink water more, and excercise to burn off the adrenalin