Sleep Disorders Community
B12 shots make me extremely sleepy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

B12 shots make me extremely sleepy

Why do B12 shots always make me so sleepy?  My midwife gives them to me to alleviate fatigue and by the time I get home I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open.  I do not get any energy burst at all.  - pregnant or not.
Hi mintymommybee, how are you doing? Have you consulted your family doctor to know the cause of fatigue and plan of care? Stress and strain to body either due to the hectic work or any chronic disorder generally makes one feel tired, and no interest in daily routine activities. You need to check for anemia, diabetes, hypertension, and thyroid function test. Check with self-testing pregnancy kit to clear your doubt. Sleepiness is one of side effects of drug, so you can avoid taking B12 shots for sometime. Drink lot of water, eat more fruits and keep physical active. Take care and share your thoughts.
Currently I am 12 weeks pregnant and was surprisingly not all that fatigued prior to the shot (this is my fourth pregnancy, so I am accustomed to my body adjusting to pregnancy).  I have taken B12 shots when not pregnant and they made me incredibly tired then too.
I am taking chromium and sublingual b-complex every 4 hours to stablize my blood sugar.  In the beginning, I was having a horrible time w/morning (all day) sickness, not keeping anything down, but these supplements did the trick!   due to not keeping food down,  - I did test anemic and am now taking liver and Floradix supplements.  I expect to get the anemia turned around quickly since I can now keep food down again!  My midwife did order a thyroid function test as she suspects hyperthyroidism, but I have not been to the lab yet.  Despite being anemic and possibly hyperthyroid (which symptoms of seem to go into remission during pregnancy),  I am not aware of feeling extreme fatigue until subjected to B12 injections.  I always am bit doubtful when she suggests it, but she is always right on w/everything else so  figure I'll give it one more try....
I imagine after this try she won't reccommend B12 for me again, but she seems stumped as to why it would make me tired.  She's had nothing but positive results w/ everyone else she gives B12.  You seem to be knowledgable too,  (I find many in medicine are still cluless) since you mentioned two other factors I am working with.  Thank you so much for sharing any thoughts.  always trying to learn all I can!
-melissa (and midwife).
Hi mintymommybee, thanks for your kind reply and the information. Hope you are feeling better than before. Well, as you say now you are 12 weeks pregnant, you need to get an initial complete check up from the obstetrician with whom you might plan for delivery. Do all the basic blood and urine investigation and do keep record of blood pressure levels. Keep taking nutritious diet and folic acid now, followed by iron and calcium tablets. I am not convinced, if you are given B12 shots just for tiredness. Do consult your family physician also and get examined. Proper rest is necessary. Take care and keep sharing your thoughts.
Hi mintymommybee, how are you doing today? Hope you might have met with the midwife for consulting Obstetrician and plan the Antenatal care properly. Initial visit is very important as you can discuss lot many things with the doctor and also to note the contraindicated drugs particularly first trimester. Also update on the B12 shots discomfort, tiredness, and weakness and sleep disturbance. You need to cut down your working hours as it will strain you much and can push you into chronic fatigue. A daytime nap is good. Do update on the doctor advice and take care.
i got a b12 shoot yesterday i am to sleepy ??why can you help me to find out why iam too sleepy i can not even drive i feel sleepy