Sleep Disorders Community
Bad Sleep Patterns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Bad Sleep Patterns

I have recently had a long break from work, which has been brilliant. I have had the time to notice why I cannot cope during the day at work, as I seem to have a strange sleeping pattern. Very often I will sleep on and off for the best part of the night and then at about 5 or 6am (when I usually have to get up for work), I fall into a really lovely deep sleep until 9am - possibly longer if the postman didn't wake me up. No wonder I cannot function well at work. I am returning in a weeks time and I am already panicing about my sleep. I have given up alcohol, have a routine before bed (hot drink, bath, book) and it has helped. Occassionally I will have a brilliant night and my goodness, what a difference. I want to feel like that every day! How can I get my body to have a proper deep sleep during the best part of the night and not when I need to wake? I also suffer with terrible hissing in my ears.
I had fallen into a similar pattern for years and undoing it didn't happen quickly. The only thing that worked in the end was forcing myself up early and allowing no naps. A few days of this and I was too ready to fall asleep early.

When staying up late then tossing and turning till nearly morning then sleeping good, it too was from exhaustion. It turned out I had sleep apnea that was preventing me from sleeping well until I was just too sleepy to stay awake longer. If you continue to have trouble, wouldn't hurt to get checked out just to be sure.