Sleep Disorders Community
Bad feeling preventing sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Bad feeling preventing sleep

I've just posted a question regarding sleeping medicine dependence. I started taking it because of insomnia. Without it I cannot sleep at night. My question this time is when I try to take a nap in the day, why just as I'm about to fall asleep does an unpleasant feeling well up from my abdomen to my thorax and arms?
is it internally or a emotion type of bad feeling
It's internal. It's very hard to explain. The closest I can get is nausea
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What medication are you presently taking?  Sleep medicine should not be used for a long period of time, if not, dependence to the medicine happens. There are some behavioral changes that may happen when taking sleep medicine such as: confusion, anxiety, strange behavior, hallucinations, depression, or aggressive behavior. This depends on what kind on drug you are taking and its side effects.Withdrawal symptoms can also happen when a person suddenly stops taking sleep medicine after being used on taking this medicine for a long time. Withdrawal symptoms includes: irritability, muscle cramps, vomiting, shakiness, sweating. If there is no improvement with your present medication or you have been taking it for a long period of time, it is good to consult your doctor so that proper management can be given. Take care and keep us posted.
What is the sleep med your taking,,I was thinking maybe because its during the day your not taking the sleep med and your mind is getting confused wanting that sleep med but is not getting it,,so maybe like a withdrawal type of symptom.

This feeling could also be due to nervousness or anxiety of some sort. I would suggest you to read a book or listen to some music before your normal naptime, this will help you relax.
Firstly, thank you both for your concern. I'm taking Lendormin 0.25mg (one before bedtime). I've been taking it for around two months, which I realise is far too long. I haven't noticed any of those side effects Dr Santos mentions, although I know I could well be dependent on the drug now. I want to try and taper off it. Is a reduction from one to three-quarters to half to one-quarter to nil the correct way to go, and, if so, how many days at each step? I have tried on a few occasions to go to bed without taking one but after two hours of laying wide awake have taken one.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It is good that there is no observed side effects of Lendormin. It's generic, Brotizolam is a sedative and muscle relaxant. It belongs to the group of Benzodiazepams.It is very easy to develop tolerance and dependence in this group and withdrawal is long and unpleasant, and sometimes life threatening. It is also important to know that this group react with alcohol, sleeping pills, painkillers, female hormones, and cold and hay fever medications. Doctors usually taper off usage gradually and substitute other drugs. It would be good to discuss with your doctor on how to stop this medicine with other options since this needs constant supervision and care. Take care and regards.

Thank you for your latest comment. My goal is to wean myself off Lendormin and attempt to go to sleep unassisted. I'll see the doctor who prescribed the Lendormin next week, when I'll ask for his advise regarding this. That is possible, I hope! Thank you again