Sleep Disorders Community
Body Trembling and Nausea due to fatigue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

If I get to bed too late (anywhere after 10:30pm now) I have troubles falling asleep.  I begin to tremble and soon afterwards I get sick (vomiting and diarrhea).  I have taken gravol and meds to help me  sleep. If I take these meds, earlier in the night I sleep until morning, however, if I take them later (after 1pm)  I am now waking approximately 3 hours afterwards and the symptoms start anyways.  I would like to know what to do and what is going on...  I am going to bed earlier, I am active and in good shape.  This has been going on for a couple of years now.  I am 47 yrs of age.
You are taking stuff to make you sleep, but you have not found out why your have troubling sleeping. That is, you are treating the symptom, not the cause. You could have high cortisol - that would keep you awake. You could be lacking in iodine - that would keep you awake. Do you see what I mean? Have your endocrine system checked out.
Hi, according to your history, nausea and vomiting in the night suggests acid reflux, gastritis or peptic ulcer disease. There is maximum secretion of acid at the night time which may in some individuals due to excess irritation be able to lead to such symptoms. You should stop taking spicy food, vinegar, alcohol, cigarette smoking if present.

A 24hrs gastric pH and urease breath test with upper GI endoscopy will help to substantiate diagnosis. Antacids and proton pump inhibitors will reduce the acidity for which consult a physician.

Your condition also needs to be differentiated from Sleep deprivation wherein it is milder form. The initial steps you need to take is sleep hygiene education, stimulus control, relaxation, sleep restriction, cognitive therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, phototherapy, and chronotherapy. These therapies can be prescribed by clinicians at any level but it can be better implemented by sleep specialist.

Medical therapy involves use of benzodiazepines, Nonbenzodiazepines, Melatonin agonist or Diphenhydramine against prescription for short duration. I suggest you to consult physician/sleep specialist for further management. Take care and regards.