Bruises after sleeping
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea over a year ago - and was given a CPAP.  It felt too weird and claustrophobic and I stopped using it about two months after receiving it.  I have gone back to the sleep disorder doctor to see what else could be done.  He stated either surgery or a mouth piece and from further diagnosis, he said that I may have imsomnia.  I ended up buying a strap that keep my mouth shut and it seems to be working.

Lately, however, I've notice that as I'm trying to fall asleep, and right before that final "out" feeling, my legs or arms will twitch slightly - sometimes really hard (sometimes my whole body twitches really hard), to the point where it wakes me up (or rather I never got to sleep), and of course I have to start the falling asleep pattern again.  This can go on for hours.  In the last three days, I probably have slept no more than 3 hours tops!!  Mine you, I go to bed at 8pm and have to get up around 4:15am.  

But the freaky thing about the last 3 days or so is that I've been walking up with bruises on both my inner arms and inner thighs.  Just last night before sleeping, I figured out it must be that I'm pinching myself because as I was laying on my side, I noticed where I put my hands as I was getting comfortable, and sure enough, my hands where on the exact spots where the bruises are.

As we all know, when you have sleep apnea (and it's not being treated by either the CPAP, mouth piece or chin strap) and you are holding your breath, your body will do something (I'm not sure what that is) to wake you up so you can start breathing again.

Is it possible that I'm pinching myself in my sleep to wake me up because I'm not breathing?  The chin strap seemed to be working a couple of weeks ago and I was not bruising myself.  Now all of a sudden, I'm waking up with bruises an it's scaring the **** out of me.  The one thing that bothers me the most is the twitching.  It not only keeps me up, but it's freaking me out.

What is going on?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot for this forum.
Does anyone know what's happening?
Sorry, not enough time to write complete reply.  Have you researched narcolepsy?  Sounds like it could be behind your troubles.

Good luck
Go back to whoever you get your cpap supplies from and ask about a full face mask.  The chin strap did not work for me....... I had to get the mask that covers both nose and mouth. Hope that helps!