Sleep Disorders Community
Butterflies in stomach when I try to sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I have been getting butterfly like sensations in my stomach badly at night when I try to sleep. I also start getting very hot all over when I am starting to fall asleep. THe butterflies have kept me awake for the past few nights and are driving me crazy. I am not anxious and not worried about anything, and I have even been waking up with the sensation.

I had this about a year ago, a lot worse. It was so bad that my stomach muscles began cramping and it spread to my legs. I ended up in hospital a few times, but nothing came of it.

I am almost 42 and had my uterus removed about 12 years ago.  I have had bloodtests and they say my hormone levels are normal, but I still get shocking monthly symptoms.

Does anyone have any idea wtf is going on in my stomach? Its not bad enough to go to hospital, but if I don't get some sleep soon I will be tearing my stomach out thru my ears.

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Menopausal symptoms are caused due to hormone irregularities and they could resemble the symptoms described by you. The other causes for your symptoms could be metabolic disorders like diabetes and hypothyroidism, which  can be detected by a simple blood test.  Hope you discussed about Hormone Replacement therapy (HRT) with your doctor.

The stomach problems could be due to GERD, (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), where the acid contents of the stomach come up into the esophagus. You can try life style measures. Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications NSAID's, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results. Hope this helps!!
Hi. Thanks for the information. I have never discussed HRT as I still have my overies, so I still have the hormones.  I have quit smoking a few months ago and hardly drink. I find it hard to exercise as I am disabled (brittle bones) and in a wheelchair.
I will have a chat to my GP about the things you have mentioned. I just hope I can get some answers.
Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Take Care. Write back about your chat.