Sleep Disorders Community
CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT

I'M A 48 YEAR OLD FEMALE THAT BEEN ON PAIN MEDS SINCE 6YRS. THE REASON FOR TAKING PAIN MEDS . I HAD 3 KNEE SURGERY,HERNIA REPAIR,BLOCKAGE OF THE COLON,APPENDIX REMOVED.NECK SURGERY.BACK SURGERY,TUMOR ON LEFT SHOULDER.ALSO OSTEARTITIS.WHICH STARTED ME TAKING PRESCRIBE PAIN MEDS.THIS YEAR 2011 I HAD BACK SURGERY WHICH WAS 100% SUCCESS THAT NOW I DON'T NEED NO PAIN MEDS. PAIN FREE. THANKS THE GOOD LORD. THE ONLY PROBLEM I'M HAVING NOW IS THAT I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT SO I TAKE THE PILL OXYCODONE 15MG ANYWAY WHEN I'M NOT IN PAIN TO MAKE MEGO TO SLEEP. DON'T HELP. PLEASE HELP ME. WHAT TO DO. LIKE I SAID I BEEN ON PAIN MEDS FOR 6YRS. VICODIN. DARVOCET.PERCOCET.MORPHINE.OXYCODONE VALIUMTHAT I'M PAIN FREE DON'T NEED NO MEDS  SINCE OVER THE YEARS. NOW I GUESS ALL OF THE MEDS THAT I WAS TAKING IS IN MY SYSTEM. DO I NEED DETOX. BECAUSE NOW I ONLY TAKE IOXYCODONE AND 2 VALIUM TO HELP ME TO SLEEP. BUT NOT WORKING. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME SO I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE NOTHING AND THAT I CAN GET MY SLEEP WITHOUT TAKING NO PAIN MEDS. PLEASE HELP
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You have stopped your pain medications, which is good and you are receiving sleep aids to help you sleep. You should stop becoming anxious about sleep as this becomes a vicious cycle and you may face problems falling asleep. Follow good sleep hygiene measures like going to bed at the same time, waking up at the same time, avoidance of alcohol, smoking and caffeinated beverages. Maintain warm, comfortable bedroom environment and engage in relaxing activities like a warm bath before bed time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Narcotic medications such as oxycodone are not prescribed for insomnia and very frequently cause central sleep apnea which will make your sleep worse.  Since it's also not working for your insomnia and you have no pain, you should stop the narcotic medications.  

A Harvard study in 2004 demonstrated medications are not the best treatment for insomnia, but rather Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBTi) is better.  CBTi is safe in the long term, is less expensive, has no side effects, and treats insomnia at the root cause instead of just trying to "knock someone out" like medications do.  If you go see a sleep doctor in person, CBTi is what they will recommend.  Alternatively, online programs have been found to be equally effective and less expensive.  

Rest well!