CPAP Silicone Mask Life Span
by Longrangesniper1953, Mar 09, 2011 05:47AM
Hi my name is Steve
                             My question is how long in days or hours of use , should i be using the silicon rubber face mask on my sleep Apnea machine before it is changed ( replaced ) for a new one,

I feel that I am using the mask for too long, can you assist me please !

Regards
            Steve
Hi, what make of mask are you using with your machine?
I am a sleep physiologist and we deal with CPAP units on a daily basis. The masks we supply to our patients usually last for 10 months to a year. It depends on the patients, you should be using the machine for a minimum of 4 hours every night but some people can use it for 8-10 hours per night. If your mask is cleaned regularly then there is no reason why it shouldnt last 10-12 months. It should be wiped every day with a damp cloth or baby wipe and it should be washed in warm soapy water once a week and left to air dry. Hope this helps.
Normally this xis up to your insurance compnay on what they will pay for. If you use proper cleaning methods this should last you at least 3months, some insurance companies want you to wait until every 6months.  You can call your helthcare provider and they should have your info on how often you can receive a new mask. Hope this helps!
Hi Mr Cuz
                Thank you very much for your reply .

The Mask that I am using is a ResMed Maskc ,  the problem that I am having is the mask is turning slightly an opaque white color where facial contact occurs and to me it seems to go soft , this results in the mask not fitting properly and it seems to leak when I use it , I am wearing the mask an average of 7.264 hrs a night and some times longer  , and the last one that I changed and I am currently using at this moment has been in use for 117 days, should I be replacing my mask sooner !

Thanks to all other people who replied

Regards
             Steve