Sleep Disorders Community
CPAP AND ANKLE/LEG SWELLING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

CPAP AND ANKLE/LEG SWELLING

I'm having the same problems as a couple others have mentioned. I'm getting more sleep but can't get rid of the ankle swelling! I take a diuretic and have used it as directed, I'm wondering if part of the problem is since I AM sleeping through the night now instead of needing to get up and use the bathroom at least twice a night...if THAT might me why I'm retaining more fluid. My doctor thinks I have to get up because of sleep apnea and is happy that I no longer do that - but I'd MUCH rather do that then contend with this awful swelling. Any thoughts?    

This discussion is related to swelling of feet,ankles,hands and stomach using cpap machine.
You can have a side effect of ankle swelling from a cpap machine, talk to your doctor about a humidifier and/or different models and strenghts of the machine.  But, it sounds like you have this kind of figured out.  If you already have edema and you don't wake up anymore to pee, then I'd say that it's probably edema.  Try sleeping with your legs higher than your body, on a pillow or something, and tell your doctor that when you used to get up it was because you needed to go to the bathroom, not because of apnea.  Good luck.