Sleep Disorders Community
CPAP discomfort

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

CPAP discomfort

I have just got a CPAP machine and have had 3 nights with it.  I've had sleep apnea for many many years and finally did something about it.  My questions are for those who've been through the "getting used to it" process.  First, I found it really difficult to put the mask (full nose/mouth) on in such a way as to eliminate leaks without having it really hurt the very top of the bridge of my nose; Second, my face around the eyes and the cheek area are beet red now (I look like an old drunk!); Third, I don't feel any different at all and still woke up about 5 or 6 times each night.  Are these reactions normal?  Is it just a matter of time before the benefits start to show themselves?  Any information appreciated.  Thanks.
Hi jeaton32, how are you? You are right in your thought, initially for a couple of days these difficulties does occur in some individuals so need not worry about it. Make yourself comfortable in using your new machine regularly. Even after a week or two if you do continue the same difficulties then please consult your sleep specialist and seek his advise. A ill-fitting device is most common one to face such problems. You will get relief from using CPAP machine and number of times you wake up will decrease. Take care and post your thoughts.  
As you and Suri have stated you are still in the getting used to it stage, and it will take more time to get used to the mask. It may take more time as well to feel rested- remember you've had this for a number of years and your body has developed quite a sleep deficit - once you get caught up you'll feel great!

As Suri said don't hesitate to call your doctor with any problems or even the company that supplied your machine.

Best Wishes~
Hi jeaton32, hope you are doing well? Thanks scarlet37 for your valuable suggestions and positive assurance to jeaton for continuing the use of CPAP machine. Usually the one with sleep apnea does suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, feeling unrefreshed after sleeping and daytime sleep attacks, night sweats, morning dry mouth or sore throat and headaches. Commonly seen in Men with a family history, obese, large neck circumference, a recessed chin, and abnormal airway. Smoking, alcohol, sleeping pills and muscle relaxants are cited as causes. Losing weight is one of the best things to be done, also avoid alcohol, smoking and sleeping on your back. In severe cases a corrective surgery can be done on doctor opinion. Devises like CPAP are more useful. I feel you need to try for few more weeks to see the best results. Speak to your attending doctor of your progress in follow up visit and share your thoughts in this section. Take care.