Sleep Disorders Community
Can narcolepsy and hypoglycemia be mistaken for each other?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

After a whole life since teens assuming I had low blood sugar attacks without medical evidence aside from it actually being low once ... Yet another time ( Perhaps a cataplexy attack?) at work I was taken by ambulance to hospital with what seemed to be a severe blood sugar drop but the tests didn't reflect ANY blood sugar abnormality. I assumed they took it too late after it started regulating on its on.... But now years later on a whim I researched narcolepsy, and found I have all my life had those symptoms (since teen years) and seem to get worse the older I get. That day I could hear, and feel, but I couldn't see or move... Assumed it was blood sugar because it was low once in the hospital a few years back (at that time I felt fine tho) the  free care I get at VA hospital only treats 'sick' ppl or life threatening... They barely do 'that' well due to understaffing per patient population growing... So I feel I have to handle this on my own.... Does anyone know of cataplexy states lasting for 30min to 1-1-2 hours ? Could sleep attacks be averted by sugar intake? (Mistakably thought of like low blood sugar?)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cataplexy is the sudden loss of muscle tone that is triggered by intense emotions like laughter or anger. Cataplexy is the result of an absence of the hypocretin, a neurotransmitter present in the hypothalamus of the brain. And it may not be related to hypoglycemia. Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder is characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, cataplexy where the person has episodes of loss of muscle function while awake, hypnagogic hallucinations and automatic behavior.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.