Sleep Disorders Community
Can tolerance to sleeping meds be prevented?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I am a 59 yeaar old male who has battled insomnia for 20 years. In the last 2-3 years it has become debilitating. I am at a point where sleep is impossible without medication. Napping is very rare. If I do manage to get to sleep, at night,  ( never before 11:00 pm) I will wake up within 30-45min. and remain awake all night. I have read about Alpha Wave Intrusion and I would bet this is what I have. Unfortunately, most doctors have very little experience and education with complex sleep issues and resort to writing meds.  I had a sleep study 6 years ago. No apena, less than 100 minutes of sleep
( out of 360) and REM time under 30 min.  I have tried everything including acupuncture, brain music, herbal remedies and most of the drugs on the market.

About a year ago, I went to a psycharist  for generalized anxiety disorder and was started on Lexapro ( 10mg) Unfortunately, one of the major side effects is insomnia, which just componded my sleeping issure. The Lexapro help greatly in the diminishing the GAD but I just could not exist with 45 minutes of sleep a night. I was taking Lunesta 3mg prior to the Lexapro for 1 1/2 years. With the Lexapro, the Lunesta was ineffective. The MD put me on 15mg of Remeron with the Lunesta and this really helped.

In an attempt to ward off tolerance to Lunesta, I now alternate ( 2 weeks at a time) between Lunesta 3mg and zolpiedem ( Ambien)  Since the zolpiedem has a much shorter 1/2 life than the Lunesta, I take 5mg about 11:30 and another 5mg at 3:00 or whenever I awake. The Lunesta usually allows for 6-7 hours of continuous sleep. The initial sedating effects of the Remeron lasted anly about 2 weeks but in combination with either one of the hypnotics, it seems to be helping, now 9 months later

So, the questions I have are: Do any others take Remeron with one of the above mentioned hypnotics? Can this medication combo be continued on a long term basis? Is the 2 week at a time duration sufficient to keep from becoming tolerant to  zolpiedem and Lunesta? I realize they are both in the non benzodiazapine hypotnic classification, but does anyone know if they are different enough in structure to use like this?

I am just trying to get by until a new classification of sleep medication gets to market. There are 2 drugs in late stage clinical trials that target a completely different receptor in the brain from the current hypnotics.
You need to do a web seach on the Ambien/zolpiedem. It is highly addictive  and very hard to get off of. I used it for months during detox from lortabs to help with sleep and anixety and I can tell you that I think it slowed my withdrawal process down. I have started doing research on this drug the ambien. It is highly addictive more so than the Benzos like Xanax and valium etc and as hard to get off of as an opiate. Doctors are prescribing this medication and the lunesta for months and years. If you do the research you will find out the companies state it should NEVER be used more than 10-days to 2 weeks at most. If you are having insomnia now wait till you have given up these meds for a few day and weeks. You feel horrible. I will never take another prescription sleep drug. I hardly sleep at all but I will not be addicted to a medication like these

Hi, You are right in speaking of Ambien addiction but most of users are otherwise comfortable without showing a high dependence on it. This drug generally is used for a short-term therapy rather than long term thus not exposing someone for dependence. It is the usefulness of drug that some people tend to take it for longer periods and feel so that they cannot do without it. Even there could be possible withdrawal effects of Ambian if stopped abruptly and also sleep disturbance can become troublesome. It is always better to consult a doctor. Following few things may help you like going to sleep and wake up at about same time every day. Avoid caffeine contained in tea, cola, and chocolate prior to sleep. Have small meal or snacks to late heavy meal. Concentrate on some fine work like reading a book, listening to soft music, take warm shower and gentle body massage, and keep temperature in your room at a suitable level as extremes can disrupt your sleep. Avoid musical clocks, very bright and blinking lights, and very tight clothing or bedding. Get and check up from a sleep specialist, Take care.