Sleep Disorders Community
Can't catch my breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Can't catch my breath

I will start by saying Im 36 yer old  female,up until a year ago a healthy person. I have had very vivid dreams my whole life, sometimes Im half awake and half asleep. I can see my family member telling me Im dreaming but it takes me a few to snap out of it. Well last year things got a little more crazy, I will wake up and I can't move,talk, or catch my breath. After one of these, the next day I have like stroke like symptoms, I have been told Im having mini-strokes(TIA) Im not sure if this is real or a dream. I think its real because how I feel for days after the episode. I feel like I got ran over by a bus. Anyone have any ideas for me?
Have you had any brain scans and was it a neurologist who said you have had ministrokes? And have you had a sleep study? If your answer is "no" to any of the questions, those may be avenues that could lead you to some answers. You didn't mention any of these "spells" happening during the day. If it were me, I'd want to be seen by a sleep neurologist (as opposed to sleep pulmonologist).
Hi mommyjode, how are you? Relax! Can you give some details as to when and how frequently you are suffering from these episodes? Have you been evaluated by any neurologist? Who has advised you of Transient ischemic attacks? I feel you might be probably suffering from a kind of sleep disturbance known to be sleep paralysis which might occur when you might go to sleep or may tend to wake up from sleep. It is a temporary phenomenon where in you feel incapable of moving your body or even part of it physically but keep trying to shout loudly or seek someone’s help. This may last for just a few seconds to minutes and can repeat once again if you sleep. This does not cause any physical injury to body, but you will be probably frightened with sweating, increased heart beat, feel shortness of breath or air hunger. Sometimes night terrors can aggravate it further. You need to reassure yourself nothing has happened and nothing is going to happen. Try to change your sleeping position to sleep on side avoiding sleeping supine, and it is better to go to sleep as early as possible. Particularly at night try to avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee, too spicy large meal and going to bed late night. Alprazolam taken minutes before sleep can be helpful. Most important thing is to get rid of stress. Exercise and meditation can be helpful. Get evaluated by a neurophysician and sleep specialist; also ask for a sleep study. Take care and share your views.