Sleep Disorders Community
Can't naturally fall asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Can't naturally fall asleep

In my whole life I haven't been able to seek the point where you fall asleep. I know how is like because a hand full of times I have felt it. As a consequence I have had panic attacks for ever. I take medications to help me sleep and to keep attacks controlled. But it would be awesome to know what's wrong with my brain and see if there is cure for this besides the pills. I am loosing memory and strength and know it will get worse with time.
Thanks in advance, all the best
Clara1960
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Just adopt the natural rhythm. There is a circadian rhythm for all living organisms. It is a 24 hour cycle rhythm and the biological clock within that individual adapts to this rhythm. If you observe this rhythm, the transition happens gradually, like the daylight subsides slowly into darkness and the sounds too gradually mellow down into the night. These changes condition us and promote sleep. So, nearing bedtime, do not engage in activities like exercise or dancing or other means that can keep you active. And you should not keep thinking about sleeplessness, as this in turn promotes insomnia and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.