Central ap and reras
Does anyone know if central sleep apnea (csa) can also cause reras?  I had a sleep study which showed plmd, csa and numerous reras which were attributed to osa.  I had less than 2 seconds of snoring the entire night and wondered how they decide what is the cause of reras.  I had no osa events.

Any thoughts?
Here is a link to our expert forum where you may want to ask one of our expert physicians!

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Sleep-Apnea---Disorders/show/305

Welcome to our community!

C~
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Central sleep apneas are caused due disorders or lesions in the brain. The peripheral system does not get the right impulses for respiration and hence the stoppage of respiration. As a result the person is aroused from sleep.

Obstructive events are characterized by continued thoracoabdominal effort in the setting of partial or complete airflow cessation, central events by lack of thoracoabdominal effort in this setting. Mixed events have both obstructive and central features.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you.

I understand the dif b/n central and obstructive.  My question is whether lack of effort is always obstructive or if it can be due to central?

Thanks and take care!
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The effort is there in obstructive and the effort is absent in central sleep apneas.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.