Sleep Disorders Community
Child Sleep Habits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Child Sleep Habits

I am remarried and have joint custody of 10 year old son.  In past marriage we did allow to sleep with us in our bed.  When he comes to stay with us every other week, we had to teach him to sleep in his own bed.  This was hard for me, but we did it and my son is very proud of himself.  The problem is when he goes back to is fathers home (not remarried) he continues to sleep with dad.  I have asked his dad to teach him to sleep alone and gave him literature on the steps to take.  The reason is because the first night we get him back, he has to re-establish his sleep pattern at our home, and he often cries alot the 1st night because he has slept with dad all week.  His dad is now trying to get son in his own bed, but when I ask how it is going, he says he has to ;lay down with him until he falls alseep.  I have told him that is not good and he needs to be consistent, but he wont listen...ANY ADVISE???   My son goes thru hell at bedtime when he comes to my house because he sleeps on his own, but the first night he goes thru hell and I am tired of watching him suffer!!!

Your son must be going through a lot of emotional turmoil at this young and tender age. He must have been affected by the breaking up of your marriage and also your getting remarried.

You should relax, he will take some to adjust and fall into this atypical routine. It is not easy for him as a child to adapt to all this including living in two homes so easily.

You should talk to him more often, share his problems and ask if anything is disturbing him.

Putting him to bed is also a good idea. What is most important is that he should feel comfortable and that you should talk to him very often.

Things will eventually fall into place, give your son some time.

Do keep us posted.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.