Sleep Disorders Community
Child twitches when waking up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Child twitches when waking up

My daughter is a 13 year old.  She also has type 1 Diabetes.  We check her sugar every night to make sure she doesn't go high or low.  The last few nights we have gotten her up and after we check her sugar, which is fine, she begins to twitch in her hands and arms for 10 to 20 minutes.  Then it goes away.  This happened about six months ago but she had had a sugar low.  Tests were done on her head and no problems were found.  The doctor believed that this was muscle spasms and not seizures .  It seems on the first two occasions  my daughter was tired.   The first two times this happened was after Christmas and New Years(she stayed up late).  But were concerned with the last week happening twice and her not being very active.  Last night she feel asleep with her laptop at 10pm.  She normally goes to bed at this time.  When we woke her to go to bed her speech didn't make sense.  She got up and went upstairs then her legs and arms began to twitch.  When she dropped her shoes we knew someting was odd.  When this happened 6 months ago, her sugar was low, but this week her number has been fine.  We got her in bed and she understood what was going on.  I did sense that her eyes were not right last night before bed though. After 10 to 15 minutes, and me rubbing her neck her arms stopped twitching.  Her leg twitches went away as she laid down.  She has no fever but does have allergy issues.  She does complain about swollen glands which I took her to the doctor last week.  He felt that all she needed was Allegra which she finally took today.  She is at the age where it's hard dealing with the issue of diabetes but she is independent with her pump and can do it all on her own(which I am proud). She does a wonderful job with her diabetes and exercises even when not playing sports.   I'm not sure if its dehydration, potassium issues, muscle spasm, etc.  It's just tough seeing your child in this situtaion.
Hi RudyV, It is quite common as a mother to be worried about child’s sleep but does she feel the same? At this age fairly they are tuned for a good night's sleep but stress due to illness or studies can cause the sleep deprivation. It is important to keep her glucose level under normal range. As these twitches are occurring on and off now, it is better you take her for an evaluation with a neurologist and also get a sleep study done. Does she have a regular daytime sleep and how active she is otherwise? Do you feel she is able to sleep without you comfortably or feels scared to sleep alone? Give her an early dinner and follow a routine time to put her to sleep with some soft music or her favorite novel. Warm bath and gentle massage at bedtime can be soothing. Observe for some more time or else see a Pediatrician, take care.
Hi Suri123, Thank You for the response.  We have had a sleep study done and see a neurologist 4 times a year but no disorder was found.  Last night she slept fine and had no twitches.  She didn't seem worn out before going to bed.  Maybe this helped.  I also gave her allergy medicine which helped  before bed.  There has been more stress in school this year.  She has no difficulty with sleeping alone and does listen to music at bedtime.  She also takes showers at night.  I appreciate your advice and ear.  Thanks Again, RudyV
Hi RudyV, Thanks for the reply and hope your daughter is doing well? Do relax, if neurological examination had turned out normal. Had an EEG done anytime? When did neurologist last see her? It is also better to get her evaluated by a sleep specialist. Stress and lack of sleep can trigger these jerks so she needs to relax and avoid too many extra hours of studies at night and going to bed late. If she can get a daytime nap it may be helpful. Do continue to give her gentle massages and warm shower before sleep. Weekend short outings might be refreshing and relaxing. Take care and share your thoughts.