Sleep Disorders Community
Crying while sleeping???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Crying while sleeping???

Hello..
My sister is now 6 almost 7years old and i dont understand something...
She comes to sleep over at my aunts, where i live, every monday and every night in the past 5weeks she will wake up crying. The crying begin in her sleep and when she wakes up she doesnt realize what is happening. The cries are soo loud she wakes up every body in the house....
WHen i ask her what she dreamt about, "whats the matter", "why are u crying", "are you ok" or any other question her answer is always and only "nothing" or no i wasnt crying.... I know times are hard lately but i dont understand the cries...... it worries me a lot because it makes me wonder what goes on @ her house to make her subcouncious have dreams that could make her cry that way... Ohh and she will wake up many times in the night and every time she comes.... I know its not because shes worried or scared around here she loves it.... and were very close... . Ill try sleeping with her tonight see how it goes but i would really appreciate a little help and maybe a tip on what i could do to help her talk to me about what is going on or how to make it stop....
I really appreciate

missykennedy
Hi, how is your sister doing. There are many reasons at her age to have these night terrors like some terror event which she might have noticed and keep recollecting, a very busy day at school, going to bed late night, or staying away from parents and so on. Stress either physical or mental does trigger them. Give nutritious diet with lot of water or other liquids, hot shower and make listen to soft music before going to bed, these can be soothing to mind and body so it may be of some help. Give her dinner and ask  her to go to bed early. Keep updating of any visit to neurophysician or sleep specialist. Take care.