Sleep Disorders Community
Dangers of Snoring
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dangers of Snoring

I'm so worried! I snore in my sleep ,and unfortunately my breath almost stops. As a result of this, I find myself awakened, all of a sudden, with a stopped breath and very weak heart beat.Then, things get back to normal after a few minutes!!! Please, I want to find out about the dangers of this situation,and a quick remedy for this symptom. Thank you so much indeed.
  Looking forward to your reply.
Saieed
Related Discussions
Hi

Snoring is a symptom which may be either a simple snoring or snoring associated with sleep disorder.

Obstructive sleep apnoea is an obstructive disorder characterized by repeated episodes of partial or complete cessation of breathing during sleep and excessive sleepiness during the day. These episodes may be classified as obstructive, central or mixed apnea.

The upper airway resistance leads to snoring and resulting arousals during sleep. Use of sedative or alcohol and poor sleep hygiene also contribute to snoring. Patients predisposed to this disorder are generally overweight or obese and may have a short thick neck.

Other conditions to rule out may be sleep deprivation, depression, narcolepsy, medications and hypothyroidism.

Individuals who snore or have sleep apnea have an increased risk of being pre-diabetic (insulin resistant), type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease.

You should consult a sleep therapist or a doctor for a complete medical evaluation. Diet and exercise counseling play a major role in the initial therapy.The other treatment options include behavioural therapy, Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), intra-oral devices and medications.

Do write in if you need any other information.

Take care!

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank