Sleep Disorders Community
Did I have a seizure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Did I have a seizure?

Last night I awoke and felt cold, although I was in a warm room. I began to shiver, then my entire body began to tense up and shake uncontrollably... it was like having the chills and shivering but much more intense, my whole body was as if in convulsions or ?? My head was pounding and I put a washcloth in my mouth because of my mouth tensing up and feeling as if was biting/griting my teeth as hard as I could & I couldnt control it. This lasted for approx. a few minutes and I then began to relax on & off during the next few minutes, going in and out of being able to control the shaking and not.
This has happened to me once before a few months ago during the summer, awakening in the same manner with uncontrolable shakes.
Can anyone help me in idenifying what happened?
Tags: seizure
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Check to see if you have fever, this could cause the shivering. It could also be seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.