Sleep Disorders Community
Did someone break in or out or am I sleep walking again?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Lastnight I was the Investagation Discovery channel and it was all about murders and rapes.  It gave me the chills so when I went to go to bed, I check both doors and windows before I went to sleep.  I swear on my father grave that when I woke up and came in the livingroom, my patio door was wide open and 1 of my 5 cats was sitting on the patio.  You talk about freaking out!  I have a history of sleep walking and have done some crazy things like squirting dishsoap in the refrigerator.  That door is hard to unlock so I find it very scary that if I did it, it didn't wake me up.  But nothing was missing.  My purse was on the table and my money and credit cards were still there.  But what if somebody got in our apartment yesterday while Lauren was in school and I was at work and waited till we were a sleep and snuck out?  Either way, it is a miricle that my cat's did not run off.  I don't get it?  They try to get out all the time and this time the one that has never been outside was the one sitting on the patio.  My persian tries to run off if he gets outside.  Does anyone think that there was someone in my apartment?  Or do you think I was sleep walking?
Do I read correctly, you do not live in the apartment alone?  If someone else lives there what do they think?

There are inexpensive alarms, from those you can connect to a door or window or one that simply detects motion - like the outside lights that turn on when you walk ro drive near them.  

Put an alarm up at least in the room/s with the most exterior exposure such as the doors you mention.  Then if you, or anyone else enters the room when you are sleeping, the alarm will go off.  If it is you, you should wake up, or the other person will wake and come see you sleep walking.  If it is an intruder it is most likely that they will run away.  The only thing they know is they have been detected, the do not know if that also automatically called for police help, which might be a good place to start if you hear the alarm while you are in bed - call 911 before checking.  If this happens falsely many time the police will not be happy about getting false alarm/calls.
It is possible that you are getting up in the night and just not remembering it. It's not necessarily known as sleep walking, I often get up, smoke, eat, have conversations then go back to bed and the next day have no memory of it.  If this is the case an alarm won't help you but with somebody else in the house they could atleast verify that you were up.
Thank you.  I live with my daughter and she has witness the crazy things I have done in my sleep.  Like crumble up a cake.  squirt choc. syrup all over the counter, get all the coffee cups out as well as squirting dishsoap in the refrigerator.  I just thought I wasn't doing that stuff anymore since they put me on a medication for nightmares.  But I guess I was sleep walking or as you say, "just doing things in my sleep."  Thankgoodness this stuff doesn't scare her.  She thinks it is funny.  Thank goodness.  I just hope I don't do anything bad.
It's good she is with you. Medication for nightmares . . . Restrol? That is what I take which is exactly why I do things and then don't remember them.  Just sayin'