Sleep Disorders Community
Difficult to Wake up!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Difficult to Wake up!

I cannot seem to wake up!!!! I mean, I will get to bed at whatever time it is, and no matter what it is SOO HARD FOR ME to get out of bed.. I will have a head ache and back pain from sleeping to much but for some reason I just dont want to wake up..
My boyfriend wakes up early in the mornings on saturdays, and I just cant.. sometimes I wish I could, but I just cant... :(
Any advice?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

When you say you have difficulty waking up does this mean you can't wake up or you just don't want to wake up because of certain reasons? Maybe you can describe to me your typical day? Do you usually sleep late and were you ever told that you snore? Is your sleep disrupted because of frequent nighttime urination? Any other reasons that could have disrupted your sleep i.e. loud snoring by your boyfriend.

Sleep disorders are sometimes diagnosed using a certain criteria.For how long have you experienced this? Are you taking any medications?Is there anything may cause you to worry or feel anxious lately? Any stressors involving your job or your relationships?

Emotional and hormonal problems may disrupt a person's sleeping patterns.You may consult a physician for blood tests to assess thyroid hormone levels and other underlying problems.I suggest you keep a daily sleep schedule and stick to the schedule.Try to get some rest and short naps during the day so you will feel rested at night.Maintain an exercise regimen that will keep you upbeat and alert during the day.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!
Okay, its not that I dont want to wake up, it's just soo hard for me.. I will wake up at 10am and just force myself back to sleep..and it bothers me!!!
A typical day... right now I'm on vacation so Im not doing anything and I'll stay up late (I seem to do that alot) and then I just dont want to wake up...
EVen when I'm in school, and I have classes at 11am, I can't wake up at 9 because I just dont want to, because i just LOVE to sleep...and then Im upset when I wake up or miss classes because I shouldn't be missing them, I'm in some serious classes in university..
I have had this all of my life... I never wanted to wake up, I could sleep around all day.....
I do have alot of anxiety, I'm not on any medication.....though... I'm stressed out (according to doctors) but in reality, I think Im quite a happy person... I just worry alot!!!!!

When you mean stick to a scheduale.. do you mean go to bed and wake up at the exact same time??
How many hours should someone my age be sleeping?? (23)
I'm just soo annoyed with this.. Its so hard to describe, I just like to sleep...

Thank you so much for all of your advice
Avatar_dr_f_tn

An adult requires about 8 hours of sleep everyday to enjoy the sleep's restorative properties .It is best to give yourself a definite time everyday to sleep.Any lack of sleep may lead to a "sleep debt" and this may cause your body to compensate for the amount of sleep it has  lost.Thus, you may experience longer duration of sleeping hours or a disrupted sleep pattern.

Try to face your daily tasks head on.There might be some issues or activities that you want to avoid since they serve as unnecessary source of stress for you.This may subconsciously make you want to stay in bed longer.Overcome your anxieties by being more proactive rather than being reactive over many things.As a student, keep a to do list everyday and try to accomplish the tasks you have set daily for yourself.Share your thoughts with a friend or a counsellor and give yourself a period of rest everyday.

For the mean time enjoy your vacation!

Good Luck!
Thank you so much!! This mean more to me than you know
I really appreciate it...