Sleep Disorders Community
Diphenhydramine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Diphenhydramine

Is it safe to take 3 tablets of diphenhydramine (75 mg) if 2 tablets (50 mg) doesn't help my insomnia?
Diphenhydramine is good for making you drowsy, but it isn't your best bet to help you stay asleep, which is probably why you're still having troubles.
Taking 3 will definitely give you a "hangover" the next morning, so I wouldn't recommend it.
In fact most of the over-the-counter sleep aids are only effective at making you drowsy, which is all some people need. If these aren't enough for you, it might be an idea to looking into prescription sleep aids as a safety net. I took Zopiclone for the same reasons as you-- I was sleepy most nights, but not getting the REM or quality sleep I needed. Zopiclone is best used once every week or two, when you're really behind in good quality, deep sleep.
It helped set my body into a good routine; not waking up frequently, and reaching those REM levels that we all need to feel rested. I don't take them at all anymore and my body is back into rhythm.

Also, try to figure out exactly what is causing your insomnia in the first place. It's generally some sort of fear or issue we're not addressing. The unconscious mind tends to wake us up if we're not feeling safe, even if you don't yet know what's bothering you. Once you figure that out, you'll be able to work on resolving it and get back that quality sleep you deserve!
Thanks. If I do get on a prescription sleep drug, do u know if it will increase my insurance premium and/or create problems if I switch companies in future as a "preexisting medical condition".