Sleep Disorders Community
Dizziness while sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Dizziness while sleeping

The past two nights I have awoken to a feeling of the room spinning.  As I moved positions as I slept I would feel the dizzy feeling.  What might be causing this?
Hello.

Your symptoms suggest that your inner ear may have a problem. There are certain hair cells in the inner ear, which are sensitive to movement. A dysfunction of these would result in vertigo.

Please consider consulting an ENT surgeon. Meanwhile, avoid sudden movements of the head, while sleeping or otherwise.

Regards
I have had severe insomnia (in four forms) for over thirty-five years, and a few times my sleep has returned for just short periods at a time (longest was eight weeks in 1979). When I first began to sleep during those periods, I awoke with vertigo and a migraine (I don't normally have headaches). I've never read about this in any literature on sleep. I am suggesting that you observe whether you're sleep pattern has changed prior to the experience of dizziness.
I feel dizzy even i rest on bed, cold sweat, room spinning, dry lips, cannot even stand up for the last 3 days. I am an athlete and run 6 miles everyday, young adult, not taking and meds. I am not sure is it hypo-tension or what? I have a history of low iron. Slept for 2 days and now get back to normal. However, i dont want to feel that anymore.
-Sounds like an inner-ear infection, which shouldn't cause long term problems - but you should see a doctor.
What happens if you don't go running for a couple of weeks?  Does it stop?  Have you had any blood work done lately?  There are quite a few things that you should be tested for that may be causing this, but it sounds like it may be your iron levels, since you already have a history of deficiency, and the symptoms match.  I would start with a full blood work-up.  You may also want to add some red meat to your diet.