Sleep Disorders Community
Fingernails on a Chalkboard Sound...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Fingernails on a Chalkboard Sound...

From time to time, I experience what sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard sound from the center of my head - and then it is like my brain is reset.  It generally occurs if I am experiencing near-threshold discomfort (chest pains, arms and legs hurting) - and once it occurs, it's like there's an instant pressure relief, and all of the pain that I was in at the time, is instantly shut off.  It usually occurs when I lay down to go to sleep... especially after being exhausted - and generally after I close my eyes.  And recently , there were very vivid visualizations that occurred directly following the sound - none that I am going to go into on here because I already sound like a moron.  But, I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.  **I am not a drug user or alcohol drinker.  I have just restarted smoking cigarettes, however.**
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms you are experiencing could be due to an entity called Hypnagogic hallucinations, which are hallucinations that occur between sleeping and waking. This is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. This sleep disorder is characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, cataplexy where the person has episodes of loss of muscle function while awake, hypnagogic hallucinations and automatic behavior. So, if your symptoms are persistent and disturbing your sleep schedules, you will need to consult your primary care physician, who may schedule you for a polysomnogram (sleep test) to rule out sleep disorders and initiate appropriate therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.