Sleep Disorders Community
Frequent waking, fast pulse, sweats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Frequent waking, fast pulse, sweats

I have been waking up frequently every night - up to 7 or 8 times - for the past 12 months although I have no problem falling asleep. I always wake with a start, somethimes my breathing is laboured. My hands are usually hot, puffy and sweaty - and continue to be so during the day.  I did a self-administered sleep study through the British Sleep Apnea Association which showed I did not have apnea, but their report said I had an "unusually high pulse rise index" (with the pulse rising sharply to a max. of 114 on wakening) which it suggested was the cause of my poor sleep quality.
I've seen a cardioligist and endocrinologist who checked me out and found nothing abnormal. My exercise ECG, 24-hour ECG and blood tests are normal. My heart rate during the day is normal, as is my blood pressure. However, on the few occasions I measured my BP immediately on waking, it was very high. Although I feel dreadful in the morning and can only work in the afternoon or evening, I usually feel well enough later in the day to go for a brisk walk (with a few spurts of jogging even!). Because the symptoms started when my mother died, my doctor feels  anxiety is the culprit. I'm sure the shock of my mother's death played a part initially but I think the stress and anxiety I experience now is the result of the symptoms that have persisted for so long.  I've had CBT but this did not change my symptoms.  Any ideas as to how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated
Best wishes, Phil