Sleep Disorders Community
Hallucinating When I wake up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hallucinating When I wake up?

Hi my name is Robert.  It is very common for me to wake up in the middle of the night, but this night was unusual. I had a normal day, went to bed at 11:00, woke up in the middle of the night and saw a Tarantula sized spider crawling in mid air, in the middle of my room, as if it were on a web   but it wasn't. i stared at it for a while with the sheets close to my face, my heart pounding very fast...........as i stared at it   it just disappeared.    Now I'm wondering if i was hallucinating. can someone please give me an answer?
Tags: spiders
I've had dreams, I swore I had woke up, and all I was experiecing was real, but realized I was dreaming, when I actually did wake up.  

These types of unpleasant experiences happen from time to time.  

Are you on any medications ?  OTC meds ?  Certain meds can give hallucigenic states.

If this only happened one time, then I wouldn't sweat it.  But if it continues, then I suggest visiting a doctor, for proper diagnoses & treatment.
You're having a hypnopompic hallucination which is associated with a sleep disorder.  I have them too.  I've seen black spiders, red spiders, clear white spiders, and spiders on spider webs.  For a sleep disorder I think it's incredibly odd that almost everyone sees spiders.  
No i dont really take any medicine....well does Advil or ibuprofen count?  its actually happened more then once.
i refer you to a phenomenon called kundalini shakti.... it is the awakening of an energy within the body that is connected to the divine or enlightenment and is manifests in many ways.  one of these ways is having waking visions of a spider hovering at eye level and then moving away or quickly disappearing.  it is as though one were in a state between sleep and awake.  ancient traditions throughout the world (both eastern and western native peoples) speak of the spider as an esoteric symbol or a manifestation of the divine when experienced in dream or visions.  there is also the jungian philosophy of the collective unconscious (the spiritual forms which are  the pre-existent prototypes of the things of the material world.)
This is incredibly fascinating.  I'm going to do some research on this.  I was beginning to wonder if the spiders had something to do with the Hopi Indian legend of how the world is covered in a web and something to do with the year 2012.  This is about all I know but I'm planning to do a little research on the topic.  Thank you for your information.
You are not alone Robert1219, and your not being connected to a spirit or divinity. And it is not "As though your are in  a state between sleep and awake" you ARE in a state between sleep and awake.  Our brains play association games with our senses (image in this case) and many times (if its isolated) what your seeing is an extra dark spot in the room, a fan pull and our brains cant logically differentiate so since a spider is an image we are familiar with it plugs it into that void.. Based off what I have read on this site and my own personal experience night terrors and hallucinations are more common than you think and can be treated with a simple anti anxiety rx, or there may be another underlying issue that has not been pin pointed.  
I have had similar experiences, twice in the last month and quite a few times before. I go to sleep fine, and after a few hours, I sit bolt upright in bed, screaming for someone to get the "spider" away from me. The most recent one, I was screaming that it was on my bedside table, and the time before I was brushing it off my back shouting "get it off me!!" I am actually conscious I am doing this, but it takes me a good while to realise that there is nothing there and I must have been imagining it. What is this all about? It can't be very good waking up in the night having these screaming fits!! :-)
I also have seen the spiders since I was about 16 years old... I wake up looking at the ceiling and I can see a large tarantula that seems to be hanging from a web lowering towards me. I know in my head that this couldn't be possible but it is very hard to convince my eyes what they are seeing is not real. I scream and do a roll out of the bed to flip on the light and of course there is nothing there. For many years I had hundreds of episodes with the spiders at night. When I was 20 I had my first experiences with seeing "shadow people". They would stand in doorways walking slowly towards me. Once I saw a floating head with two individual hands clenching on the sides of a port a crib that help my 1 year old daughter was sleeping in. It was looking at my child and when I sat up it looked directly at me. Once I started screaming it faded. I do not believe in ghosts but I know I do see things and often wonder if there is some kind of disorder I am experiencing. I see small children sitting at the end of my bed. I have mistaken them for my own child only to realize later it was one of these episodes. I see figures walking close to me until I am in a complete panic and then they disappear. The two most common are the people and spiders I have seen but on one occasion I saw a squirrel sitting in my room beside my bed. I reached out to touch it and it disappeared. I have also seen something one time that I would describe as a demon walking towards me and my newborn child who had fallen asleep with me on my couch. I kept closing my eyes and reopening them knowing I was probably seeing things and not wanting to scream and scare my baby to death. But it just kept walking closer and closer on the balls of it's feet like an animal. It was extremely large about 8 feet tall and showed no signs of vanishing, as the others usually would after a mere 10 seconds or so.  Not knowing what to do after it was only a few feet away I yelled out "God help me!" And it vanished. I have never seen that vision again and it have been 8 years. I still see the people and spiders on a daily basis though. I would really like to know what is wrong with me. I have had cat scans or else I would almost think it was a brain tumor. I just can't stand to wake up one more night with my heart racing and whole body in tremors. It's almost like I am in a panic before I even see the images. Like I already know they are there before I open my eyes. IT IS TERRIFYING!
i've had this happen numerous times. i woke up once to a green spider the width of my bed was on my bed coming towards me. i threw the blanket off and slept on the couch. i believed it was real even when i woke up in the morning.  i looked under the bed and everything.  i also had a really creepy hallucination when my brother was in iraq.  i heard someone behind me and they bent over me and whispered arabic or something in my ear and it was my brothers voice.   it was really weird and i turned around and no one was there. these things always happen in the middle of the night and i wake up and see them
I have had similar experiences but hear and see spirtiaul experiences; angels and evil figures, also have heard voices ..could this be a sleep disorder or hallucinating?  I have read articles regarding the sleep disorder and normally people see bugs and spiders so I am not certan about my experiences.  Anyone else had these spiritual experiences upon waking?
Thank goodness I am not alone...What is it with the spiders?? I have seen them too and one night saw a big black one hanging from the ceiling by it's rather thick web..I can clearly remember racing into the lounge room and not being able to go back to my bed..The experience left me badly shaken..I knew I had hallucinated too which made me even more scared..I spoke to my doctor about it and he told me about hypnopompic
hallucinations...I can sympathize with anyone who has had to endure this most unpleasant experience.
I suffer from what is called "Night terrors". You wake up but your mind is still dreaming in an awake state. I have seen many many things such as ghosts, people walking around, things flying at me, spider webs closing down on me etc just like you and trust me these are night terrors and they can be terrifying. I used to wake my hubby all the time to go and check the room where the man walked into etc...

Now..I always sleep with a toilet light on so i can clearly see everything so i dont confuse things, although it can still happen. It tends to happen more with lack of sleep or sleep deprivation from uni assignments etc.
This happens all the time. I see alot of things but mostly spiders. Usually, several of them in a huge web that goes across the room. i used to freak out but now i know they aren't there so i wait about 15 sec and they disappear. I have rolled out the bed onto the floor from a spider speeding toward my face from the ceiling. i have seen hundreds of spiders in the bed, on the ceilings, on the walls, in webs, etc. I hope nothing serious is wrong because it has turned into a huge joke in my house. "let's see what she see's tonight". it's not scary and is usually very funny. it happens once or twice a month. im glad to know i'm not alone.
I have experienced not only spiders but wolfs...dark figures...cats, not only people but people that communicate with me back and forth, white orbs, unexplained...objects shooting across the room. i"m 19 years of age now and these have been a regular occurrence throughout the years.  Blinking or waiting until they vanish wont work for me.  i used to just go back 2 sleep, scared at what was in my room.  Waking up at night now i actually walk up and investigate if its real or not...and as soon as i"m about 2 touch what i see it vanishes.  Has anyone actually investigated or tried to touch what they see?  msg back please
I have this too... I see shadows, not necessaraly people, but definitely dark things hanging over me when i wake up during the night. I have never been able to scream or shout due to shear panick/fright. Usually i go back to sleep and forget about but recently, i saw what can only be described as an angel standing by the side of my bed which really frightend me. i spoke to it but it disappeared.
I also find myself sleepwalking, yet im not fully asleep because im completely aware of what im doing. It's really odd, i always seem to be 'looking' for something but can never think what im looking for. Im 18 years old and these hallucinations are getting more frequent. They used to occur 3 or 4 times a year, but in the past 6 months they have been 2/3 times a week. It's getting quite scary and annoying now!!!
It's not a spider, it's a black ball-shaped probe with spike-like objects protruding from it. The object usually hovers away and disappears through the wall or ceiling. I'm more convinced that this object is alien or extra dimensional in origin. I've woke up, raised up with my elbows, and turned to the person lying next to me to explain what I'm witnessing.
I am also seeing other things besides spiders.  I have seen people standing at my feet, sitting next to me in my bed, laying next to me in my bad, I have heared someone whisper my name in my ear, I also have litteraly felt someone touching me and walk to the corner of my room and disapper.  I have also woke up on a few occassions where my whole entire room will be covered in spider webs.  I also woke up in a completly dark room and saw a spider, when I got up and turned the lights on, there was a spider in my room, and not in the place that I saw it at first.  So I am also wondering if it is a spiritual thing or something to do with my brain?
I don't see spiders. I see something really strange and it's been going on for years. When I wake . I am very aware of everything going on and have no doubt I'm not dreaming. I have proved that to my boyfriend who thought I might be dreaming or sleep walking. I'm not and I have woken him to ask him if he see's this as it's happening. These objects look like high tech camera monitor -spying and observing. For what reason I have no idea. As I'm noone of any special interest. I often wondered if this is from another dimension or time in space ? They appear to be robotic in that sometimes they have a small flashing light like that of surveillance objects. The most recent one looked like a wavy wire -\--/--\/-\-/-\-/-\-   with moving wires steming off it..much like an antenna, but the lines were wavy not straight like that of what I typed as the keyboard is limited. This is very odd to say the least and until now I have never made mention of it, figuring people will say I'm crazy or making it up.
I've woken my boyfriend & asked him if he can see them & he can't. which has me wondering why I see them?   Often hovering over me or just moving near to the ceiling in my room anywhere from 2- 10 minutes and then they vanish.  My boyfriend is puzzled by this because clearly I'm awake. Sometimes I sit up & wait for them to disappear as it can be frightening. Other time's I've whispered to him to open his eyes hoping he will see them before they go. I'm not dreaming and at times when I was brave enough I  tried  to touch them...but my hand goes right through them like that of a ghost. Yet they are NOT transparent nor faded. They move and hover. Ten years ago they were larger, much larger.. now they seem to be like our technology smaller & slimmer. How strange is this? It's really got me thinking there are some high tech aliens spying on us. Does anyone else see this?
This has happened to me three times, i close my eyes for a second and when i open them i see a giant tarantula above me, one time i was sleeping next to my sister and it was right above her, but then it disappeared when i blinked my eyes
Everyone seems to see spiders..ive had like a big lizard thing and snakes on my bed..one night i seen a black shape of a man on the end of my bed..When it happens i sit up and freeze for a second and then slowly quietly get out of my bed and step over what i see and quickly turn on the light..Vile when this happens at nights :(
All of the comments I've read here regarding these hypnopompic hallucinations share something that I don't experience during them, which is fear, or any reaction at all. Just last night, I awoke from sleep because of a text message I received, and as I opened my eyes, there appeared to be a 1 foot-wide spider dangling above me. I had absolutely no negative thoughts or emotions while staring at it. Shortly after, I watched the image dissipate into nothing.
Here's one fresh piece of information:
http://lightworkers.org/channeling/118117/multidimensional-mastery
I have the same with spiders and i know they aren't real but still i have to run turn the light on and check then spend all night with the light left on. Weirdley i have also seen the black shere with spikes 3 times no idea what it is or means.
The first time I hallucinated from waking up, I saw a lizard crawling under my bed.  I believed more than anything that the thing was under my bed, and I built up the courage to check under my bed.  I was 19 years old.  The second time, I was with my girlfriend in college.  I thought I saw a spider hovering above her face and I actually smacked her right in the face.  She jolted awake but thought it was more funny than anything else.  I'm 23 years old and I just had my third hallucination.  It was what Robert1219 described as a tarantula sized spider hovering on a spindle of web.  I got online and this is the website I came across.  I don't believe I have a sleeping disorder.  But the hallucinations definitely jolt me awake from a tired stupor.  Have there been an studies done on this?
I have been suffering from these night time hallucinations for about 6 years now. It started with spiders hanging down from the ceiling, sometimes one and sometimes hundreds. I have also seen big metal poles coming in through the bedroom windows and have often leapt out of bed to avoid being hit by these. At the time it seems absolutely terrifying, my heart pounds and I am genuinely very scared, usually I have to turn on the light to clarify that what I'm seeing isn't real but I was getting better at talking myself around to the face that it was a hallucination without having to turn on the light or disturb my husband. Unfortunately I seem to have moved backwards with this and I pushed my husband the other night to 'save him' from something coming towards the bed, then last night I woke him up because I was convinced he had a monkey head (this is unlike anything I've experienced before). I was getting to the stage when it was every few weeks but I have seen something every night for the past 4 nights and my husband's patience is wearing thin. I'm a good sleeper and before & after these episodes I have no trouble sleeping, I don't think I'm particularly stressed at the moment and I don't take any kind of drugs. People have suggested I see a doctor but I'm not really sure what they can do. Has anyone been to a doctor about this at all?
Im so happy its not just me. Unlike most of you though I havent had any negative response yet. If its a spider, the size, coloring, number of eyes or legs are usually wrong and that lets me know im dreaming... or hallucinating im not sure which.. but i usually try to touch it and it vanishes. so that is my idea of a cure for the problem. If your'e scared try to hit it...you cant touch something that isn't there. And if its there then...well you make sure and hit it real hard..
I learned about something called Sleep Paralysis last semester in Psychology. Its pretty rare but sounds somewhat similar. Sleep Paralysis can happen when one wakes up and the brain is still in dream mode. This causes the person to not be able to move or speak for a few seconds all the while seeing things or hearing things. VERY frightening to the person experiencing it because they believe it is real.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740

A Sleep Paralysis is possibly a hereditary disorder in which one experiences very frightening seconds or minutes of total body paralysis with little respiration and eye movements (1). A victim in this state feels awake, but he cannot move or speak (2). In addition to the immobility, the common symptoms include feeling choked or suffocated, hearing strange noises like footsteps and voices, seeing beings or dark shadows, and feeling an existance of someone in the room (1). Although these symptoms often direct the victims to believe in ghosts, mistransmission of neural signals in the brain causes Sleep Paralysis. When a person sleeps, his brain sends signals to inhibit any muscle contraction (3). If he comes into consciousness before the brain sends signals to activate muscle contraction, he cannot move his body, and consequently, become "paralyzed"(2).
this happens to me regulary! its always to do with spiders, i throw things and try push  them away but obviously  they are not there, its odd
I read that article before, Sleep Paralysis has happened to me when I was a child, it also happened to my mother as a child, and once to my eldest brother a few years ago as an adult. I didn't see anything, I was in total panic, I heard my dad calling my name but couldn't move a muscle. My eyes were open and I literally screamed inside my mind trying to force myself to move, but couldn't.
My brother heard the side door open, and saw someone was past him, only everyone was asleep.

But after reading the article again, I'm starting to wonder if I'm having Sleep Paralysis on a weekly basis now as a young adult?

I just read that alot of people are seeing spiders, I have, on VERY rare occasions, but what I see weekly, can transpire as blobs, abstract objects, that can be colourful or black. On extreme rare occasions, I will see a human transparent shape person standing beside my bed, and once one all in black. They all disappear into the ceiling within seconds as I blink to try and focus harder on what I am actually seeing. But now thinking of it, I have never moved or spoken once when seeing all of this, which leads me to believe that I am actually experiencing Sleep Paralysis but am not as terrified as I was when it happened to me as a child. I am scared when it happens but I fall back asleep within moments of it disappearing.

I oversleep, usually, and I do enjoy my sleep, and I dream alot, every night, multiple dreams. My dreams can vary from flying, to falling, to being superhuman and being able to run faster than cars. I also have nightmares, but generally, my dreams are quite happy and fun.

Last night I awoke to static like bright orange and white lines above my face, they flashed with colors and then just as quickly disappeared and I fell back asleep. I don't know what causes it but it has lead me to this site, and apparently alot suffer from similar things.

My family, as do I, believe in supernatural occurrences, my brother lived with my eldest brother for a period of time and one time woke during the night to "see" a transparent person laying beside him, he screamed, the transparent spirit flew from his room and down the hall. You can easily say this could be a part of the Sleep Paralysis symtoms (symptoms), but my brother's scream woke my other brother and saw it fly past his room. The apartment they lived in a old man passed away there, in the exact room my brother was sleeping. He didn't know that at the time.
i have had night hallucinations for about five years. i wake up almost every night and i see a sort of computerised spider it just hovers near the ceiling and then dissapears after 10-20 seconds. i know its me and that its not really there because when i move my eyes it moves with them. i dont feel scared anymore as i know its not real, but i used to think that it was something spiritual. iv also see a scorpion thing on my wall. i used to be able to sleep through the nite but i always wake up and i also have vivid dreams. i would love to have peacful sleep restored!
I see this exact thing that you describe. It scares the crap out of me. It happens often and I also get the impression of high tech surveillance. Did you feel a strange heat or hear vibrating air is the only thing I can discribe it as or like a humming bird sound by your ear? It is almost as though being drugged or somehow light is been bent or manipulated so the things aren't definitely visible.  I have had the notion of an administered reality or some alteration of my immediate environment. I wish I just had never encountered this. I too am noone of particular interest and I am not one of the bad guys and I am certainly not a threat to anyone.

This morning about 3am I awoke to rolling graphics checkerboards and wavy vaporous swirling patterns. I did also see dark masses floating and at the edge was wavy hair like growing

Just a few possible reasons for this occurring. I am absolutely insane. There are entities out there that for some reason or another have a serious privacy issue and we are never truly alone and I have pissed them off. Government psychological warfare. Aliens living amongst us.
Hi, I'd say you should seek people with similar problems or those who are into those weird spiritual things, not just simple "can't sleep" people on this forum. Just my two cents...
Wow....so here is my story.....and this has happened only once in my life and im 30. I was a teenager at the time and have never had problems with sleeping or nightmares or sleepwalking. I woke up to this weird feeling in my room. When I rolled over struck with absolute fear I saw a huge orb/ball that had spikes protruding out of it floating around the top of my room in a counter clockwise motion. I was so scared I remember opening my mouth to scream but nothing coming out. I just sat on my bed silently screaming. And then clothes, my clothes, started following it around the room. They weren't bunched together just all orderly. I still remember every detail.
You, I'm tired. Get fast asleep.
Dear Smith,

It really feels strange why some of us have to suffer from such horrifying nightmares. I could realate myself to you since I have had some very similar experiences.  2 of them actually so far.  and  i have been searching the web for answers since the 2nd one.  The 1st one was while i was sleepin with a frend of mine in my house. When i wake up i see her head spinning. I run away from her and go to my parents room for help and see their head spinning too.  I tried to go away from them screaming tremendously. Then my parents had to literally shake me up when i regained conciousness.  the 2nd was quite recently yesterday, while i was sleepin with my roommates.  I wake up to see the whole bed has been covered by spider web from 100 years and both of their bodies covered with web too. I kept on screaming until one of my roomies shaked me to wake up.. the fact being i was extremely tired when i went to bed and had a completely normal day.
I really am searching for answers as to which conditions lead to such kinda halluciantions.
So here is my story... I have always slept with my eyes open, always but only happens when I lay a specific direction. For example if I sleep with my head to the north and my legs to the south and also when I lay with my head to the west with my legs to the east I sleep with my eyes open. When this happens I always see these shadows that people are referring to like shadows of people. I always get people never any insects or reptiles. When ever I see them they always look like they are going to hurt me.  From some of the comments I have been reading and the sleep paralysis and I get that as well but it doesn't just go away in the 20 to 30 seconds for me it last till the object goes away. Also, for some reason I always have these hallucinations when I sleep next to my girl friend in which when ever this happens I panic so bad in my sleep by breathing really heavy that she has to wake me up. I was just wondering if people have found any answers yet on what I can do? I want to sleep so bad but can't in fear of this eyes open dreaming.
I just started seeing these visions. Besides spiders i also see numbers or writing on the wall. What does that mean.
You are seeing what I'm seeing at night. Ive seen the wavy thing too just as you describe and many others. They are not spiders but more tech. Just last night I saw something different for the first time. It was triangular in shape and it hovered by my bed, I reached out and floated down the hall and disappeared. I always wake my wife up when I jump out of bed, she's use to it by now. She would ask, "are you okay?". This is the first time I'm reading up on this, its been going on for a little over a year now.
thank you, i have had two of these dreams, each one in a different pregnancy. very enlightening.
That must be terrifying, but I'd say you have a gift, and you should embrace it, so as not to be afraid of it, but to learn why YOU were chosen to have this gift, and how to channel it, what to do with it.  
ive been extremly tired all day no matter how much sleep i get i wake up n hallucinate things from flashing lines on the wall, to a giant room i can see goes on for awhile, to foggy like smokey stuff in my room, to scary misty like black thing floating above me which usually that occurs with sleep paralysis i also have a 1yr old n a 2yr old n as if not taking care of them wears me out enough i wake up constantly all night after dreams n automatically hallucinate sumthing sumtimes i hear my kids crying or yelling mommy when theyre not n it wakes me up right before i fall asleep maybe its just do to being to stressed out n being overtired i dont know
I've recently had a strange occurance when sleeping. My eyes were closed and I felt some presence - it appeared as a green orb with high tech looking things inside it, such as scrolling numbers and symbols. It scared me, so unsure what it was, but feeling it was some alien type of thing observing me, I prayed for protection and it disappeared. I haven't been able to find nything else on the internet yet that even resembles anything I saw, but your story was as close as I've found.
I have also had hallucinations and I absolutely believe in the spirit world such as hauntings, demons, angels and many other things.  For a while I tried to tell myself that these hallucinations were spiritual or other worldly but then I noticed something, a lot of these hallucinations happened between being asleep and awake and have them of the hallucinations didn't make any sense.  I have seen black bird like figures fly past me, I have seen other figures but also I have hallucinated when I am falling asleep at meetings at work.  I have also had a few experiences much like what one would call sleep paralysis with the dreadful sense of terror and hallucinations.  Putting all of these years of experiences together I can't say for sure it is not spiritual but I do believe it is more of an explainable disorder and I can totally understand why this happens, it's simple when it happens I'm just not awake yet and that's why a lot of times the hallucination doesn't make sense and it doesn't have Amy real purpose.  But again I will NEVER put away theossibility of it being some kind of unknown realm we enter or truly real hag syndrome.  I am just looking at things ultra realistically and this seems to make the most sense.  If I was awake or knew for sure I was a hundred percent awake then it would be different but I have yet to see things while awake, well that's a lie I have seen and experienced apparitions and seen "haunting activity". But it made sense and was fully aware of it.
Ever since I was a very young child I have seen all types of insects crawling on the ceiling,my parents thought my hallucinations were a symptom of my extremely high fevers that I had as a child.One night while lying in bed with my parents,because I was having another extremely high fever and my father who kept up very punctually on my meds so my fever wouldn't spike anymore than it already was. We BOTH saw what looked to be like a white orb or flash of light,exit their closet,pass in front of their mirror & exit out the closed window. Years later I have woken up to see a dangling spider,bees hovering around my head and one time I jumped out of bed to turn on the lights because I saw a black serpent like thing between my sheets and could see how my sheets were moving as it made it way towards me. I did not have a fever when I saw the last 3. I am glad I am not alone,but would like to know the reason behind my "hallucinations".
Same ! I've seen spiders and other visuals since i was very young - I see them everyday - at a young age I was very scared of the spiders and the other visuals that started like a nodding head with its mouth open, changes into an overhead view like I'm flying over streets and houses, then it changes to hundreds of colourful birds like lorikeets that fly very close together in the same direction. when I move my eyes, the visual moves with my eyes. 28 years later (i rekon I started seeing these things since age 3 or 4) I have embraced the visuals with some intuitive work, turns out the 'scary' was just to get my attention and learn more about what I'm seeing is ENERGY! it's like clumps of translucent 'cell' like feature with colour that defines the pattern - so bright with my eyes closed, translucent with eyes open. Now that I welcome the visuals, I have worked WITH THEM!!!! It's AMAZING! Now the face is a white light that changes!!! It swirls around in a circles mixed with colour when I get massaged, i am training myself to read what a 'yes' and 'no' answer looks like when I ASK the energy. It's spiritual. Often these scary things are sent to shock us so we will research more of the why, so we can remember our purpose! Celestine Prophecy is a great book for anyone who is just 'dabbling' with spiritual learnings - You can ASK these visuals questions - ask, wait a few seconds, what ever message you get is from your higher self, interpreting the message to you!
       I've had the same problem in the past. I'll see something after CLEARLY waking up. I know I'm not asleep, and just see something. Something clear as day. But the strange thing is, that the object, or whatever it is stands out. Staring at it doesn't make it go away, and swatting at it doesn't do it either. But whatever it was, stayed there, and I was terrified. It would take a few minutes before it slowly started vanishing. One of the times, the being came over to touch me, and right before it did, it vanished.
      This has happened to me three times, quite some time ago, and I pushed it back into the depths of my mind, because It hasn't happened to me since. Though, now, after my boyfriend moving in, he's starting to see things like that too, but for him, they're down right disgusting and just wrong, according to him. I know he's not making it up, because we've never discussed this before, so I know he's not just saying this to freak me out with things I could relate to. He's genuinely scared to sleep in his room. And, honestly, I don't feel comfortable being in there alone... Or, on occasion, with him, for that matter. Unexplainable noises, movements, and things happen in there, and we've been brushing it off as overactive imaginations for a while now. But he hasn't been able to get a good nights rest in over a month, and with the things that he's seeing, that he has to literally SMOTHER to get rid of, and feels sink down when he does it, I'm not really sure that this is all overactive imaginations. Having a conversation with my mother about this just made her laugh at me, and that's not something that I want, or would appreciate right now. It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to leave him in the room alone, and he's not one to scare easily. He's usually the one calming me down whenever I'm freaked about about something. I just want answers, if anyone has any.
This morning i woke up to the sight of a man with a white and blue checkered tux on proposing to a women in a red dress. This hallucination was increadibly vivid and I know for a fact that I was awake. I did not get scared by this image, but it just made me question why this happened.
This has happened to me for most of my life. 43 yrs. old now. I would always call it a spider or octopus shape but knew deep down that is was intelligent and real and that it was not a spider or octopus just the shape of that. I will wake up and it is hovering over my face, pretty close watching me. As I begin to notice it and reduce my fear it stays a little while and almost always seems to go back to a corner of the room. I never understood why it walkways chooses the corner( triangular part ). Now that I'm older I've learned not to so afraid of it and it always me to witness it longer. It never evaporates it does move to the corner of the room each time and I am wide awake at the point.
I literally just woke up from a zombie dream and was about to be attacked by by one.. Then I woke myself up, because I did it so abruptly. My eyes opened and, no joke, I saw a whited out lizard skittering around on my door. What's was even more strange is that I noticed 'before' this said hallucination.. You know how on t.v. shows that try to interpret what hallucinating induces via psychedelic color blotching? Well, I had that happening to me, only for a second however. That's when I was visualizing a lizard. Also, said 'lizard' was no bigger than from the tip of your finger to the place of connection to your palm. 2 1/2- 3 1/4 inches. A very strange phenomena, I wonder though why all of you saw spiders and I saw a lizard.. It was weird, because once I gradually tried to wale up faster, it was like the 'lizard' became aware that I was watching it. It then faded by absorbing into the door itself leaving an imprint. Which is no longer there.. I also haven't been on my normal pattern of sleep. I've only been getting 4-6 hours lately. Perhaps it is taxation that has lizards running amuck, apparently, right? Haha
im 22 and my dreams r gettin worse. i hullucanate, but only bad things. its only gettin worse. iv been wakin up n a dream and i'll wake up from tht dream n another dream. jst lik tht guy talkin bout the spider. seams lik no madder what i c its deamonish. and its jst a scary thing. i have to make myself never sleep and whn i do i get scared and it always happns... i dont take meds or anything lik tht. and iv heard of people dieing of this, there heart will race so fast n there sleep tht they hav a heartattack.
if i was to guess how many diff crazy scary dream things iv had, id say around 100. it started with lik lil deamon puppets tht would stay under my blanket and hav a creepy laugh. i woke up and they were still there. i wasnt able to move tho. lik i was stuck. 4 some reason i got my body to roll over off my bed and i got to my door whn they finally dissapeared. iv seen deamon ghosts/dogs/spiders/puppets/giant leach thing. only scary things.. b4 i started seeing things lik tht i used to sleepwalk a lil bit. it ***** cause my parents tell everyone tht iv been a crackhead sence i was lik 8 because of my sleepwalking and hullsanating from dreams. and they never belevd my whn i told thm. iv NEVER done drugs... i drink a **** load now but everything started way b4 i started drinking. i take a shot to try to help me stay awake
Help i woke up in the night to a real loud bang then every yhing was silent, i rolled over and i saw a spider web thing then it look very much like a face next it was gone. Later on i keeped feeling a cold breeze brush past my face by this time i was soooo afride and i went and sleped on the floor in my mums room.
In the morning i went into my room and the sheets of my bed were all over the floor mum said it was probs me but i know it wasnt help what do i do...........
Last night I woke up three times in the middle of the night and saw a blue spider with really long legs but it looked more like energy and it was moving on a web in mid air I freaked out because it was in a corner behind my head so when I woke up I must have known it was there coming towards me because I wouldn't be able to see it if it was behind me  ... I also can't sleep because I feel presence of others .. I even feel them behind me when I lean agains the wall ? I am sick of being paranoid :(
Interesting stuff. Occasionally I’ve seen these spider like images when I wake up. The spider I usually see is the one with the long spindly legs and it is much larger than the real spider of this type. The first time I saw this I thought it was real, but since then I’m sure that this is just an image generated in my mind. I’ve read some of the other posts where people have seen images of people and animals. So far I have not seen anything like that and hopefully I never will. I’m not a spiritual person and I’m skeptical of ghosts, aliens and other supernatural phenomenon. That being said I don’t totally rule out the possibility of there being something about this that is beyond our comprehension. I tend too try and analyze events using logic and reason. In an earlier post someone asked a good question. Why do we see mostly spiders? If you think about it, what would your mind expect to see on a wall or ceiling above your head? Your mind did not create something totally impossible like a car or truck. We have all heard of ghost and alien stories. In a semiconscious state it is possible for the mind to project images like these since we hear so much about ghosts and aliens. Since no two people are the same, each individual will experience these things to different degrees, with some people seeing only shadowy images and others seeing more complicated images. Because of the large number of people who posed on this, I’m beginning to think that this is quite normal and nothing to really worry about.  Before I experienced these images I would laugh at other people who did. I’m not laughing anymore
I went to sleep, and woke up. Right when I woke up, I saw a huge spider crawling down my pillow that dropped onto the floor. I mean, this spider was BIG, but then it disapeared.
this is weird because I thought that I was the only one this was happening to.  my last appearance was a hand coming through threw the wall.  I am not on drugs just in the middle of the night I see huge spiders etc... Just super weird!!!
Hello, I'd like to bring this back to the 'Giant black spider'. Before I do that, I also confirm that I have experienced other terrors for many years; the giant spider is the most persistent and vivid to date, i.e, it it has taken me much longer to realize that it was not there.

Like others, here: I have seen this giant spider; usually occurs in the top corner of the room as I am waking up, or in a state that I think I am awake (these two states are distinct). The first few occasions, reacted to it as any other night terror; I shouted my head off.

Has anyone done research that points to any possible reason why we are all experiencing the same phenomenon whether metaphysical or scientific? If, as it has been suggested, it is some sort of enlightened state, how do we maximize this for our benefit ?    
does anyone have visions of bees flying on your bed or toward your face or on your bed/pillow??? i need an answer! all i'm hearing is about spiders.. i have those sometimes but i see spiders less often.
I have definitely experienced sleep paralysis as you describe, but only once. I was very young at the time but was very freaked out because I could not move my body. It was as if someone was holding me down. However, most of the people on this site are definitely not experiencing this problem because they are able to move to try to touch the objects or get up to turn the light on. I have experienced both the paralysis and the hallucinations. I have seen millions of tarantulas crawling on my walls and just rolled over to go back to sleep because I knew it wasn't real. I have seen a spider coming at me and woke up several times throughout the same night with the same spider thing, and turned the light on each time and eventually slept in the living room and slept soundly the rest of the night. I have seen objects that look like baskets hovering and then slowly disapearing after turning the light on. The most freaky I have to say though was once when I was asleep, it was still sort of light outside and I woke up and saw a freaky looking girl crawling towards me. She looked like the girl off The Ring. But I just rolled over and went back to sleep. But I hate getting these feelings. It is not fun, and wish they would go away. So shocked to see that it's not just me!
Oh, also when I was about 13 I woke up seeing one of the basket things that I used to see around that age. It scared me so much because I had seen these several times that I went in my mom's bedroom and ended up sleeping with her in her bed. Once I fell asleep, I woke right back up and saw her ceiling fan but there was another ceiling fan next to it (not real) that was coming towards me. I tried to wake her up to see if she could see it but she just told me to go back to sleep. I ended up going back to my room mad because she didnt believe me and slept with the light on. But an additional note, I am now 29 and things still happen now (probably more so), and have been happening even since I was a little girl.

Also, when I was still probably around 14 there was one morning I woke up. I could hear my mom in the kitchen cooking breakfast. I always slept with the door closed and for some reason I looked at the door and it looked like a shadow of someone's feet standing outside my door in the hallway. I rolled over to go back to sleep for a little longer and was facing the wall. I then heard footsteps in my room but could still hear my mom in the kitchen, and there was no one else in the house. Then I felt something like someone's arm lay ever so lightly on my arm, and then their fingers walked on my hand. I wanted so badly to look, but couldn't make myself do it. I was completely awake and I waited for about 10 minutes before I had the courage to get up and go tell my mom. Of course, she still didn't believe me.
What you've described Robert, sounds remarkably like what I've been experiencing on an increasingly frequent basis. I don't see spiders, but I do see strange apparitions either floating toward me or just sort of hanging above me. I've actually tried to reach out and knock them out of the way but my hand goes right through them. Last night, it was some weird looking "person" with big round glasses and they were smiling at me, though not showing any teeth. I think they were wearing a hat and there were other odds and ends in the space around them. I'm thinking Johnny Depp in some freakish role type of person. I couldn't really see their face to be able to describe what they looked like, but it definitely interrupted my sleep. I'm not really afraid of these episodes, but they can be startling and they seem to be increasing in occurrence. My boyfriend was here two nights this week and nothing unusual happened on either night. I did wake up a few weeks ago and saw him standing in my room. When I told him that he had startled me, he disappeared. Not sure what to do about my issue, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I'm starting to wonder if I have a brain tumor!
I googled a search 'seeing spiders on the ceiling that slowly disappear ' not really expecting to come up with anything.
Amazingly I came up with your forum thread,
I have had this hallucination a few times now all within the last 12 months or so and never that I can remember before.It really is strange that people seem to see the same thing.
I have had that happen to me. Not the spider thing, the hallucinations.
It makes me happy to know Im not the only one, yaaay! I sleep talk and sleep walk, but I never knew night terrors was a real thing. It started when I developed anxiety attacks. And Im not on medication. Anyways. It all started when I woke up screaming bloody murder which I didn't know what was going on til my mom busted through the door like wtf is going on and my bf look scared hitless and confused. Its not regular maybe happens 2 times a month. I have seen the spiders, and I duck and roll out the bed with fear and quickness. Then realize 10 seconds later that Im probably crazy. I have seen a racoon hanging on my ceiling drapes and I stared at it like wtf til it vanished. There was a demon coming through a void in my room.. but I believe I experienced a spider maybe 3 times. :T
I can relate  to what is going on with you.  I have been having night terrors/ hallucinations quite a bit. I stopped taking ambien to sleep about a year ago and I had a lot during that time. I would see things primarily near the ceiling floating or hangin down in the room.  They were usually colorful .. like clowns, snakes, dragons weird stuff.  It has been over a year now since I stopped the medicine.  Last night I woke multiple times to very similar terror/ hallucinations.  I would wake to my husband over me holding a knife of some object that was going to hurt me ... I could see that it resembled the objects in my hallucinations but I still would be screaming and terrrifed and if he touched me or consoled me it would be worse.  I know that I am awake and I can see these things .... ugh really???
I have had almost the same exact thing happen to me. it actually happens to me often. I wake up in the middle of the night and usually see a huge spider inches from my face. Ialways panic nd flee from my room and sleep on the couch. I am very aware that it must be some sort of hallucination or "waking nightmare" but the fear i feel is irrational. Please can someone tell me what this is. and what I can do to make it stop.
When I wake up often in the middle of the night in the faint light i see black shapes that I quickly recognise as large spiders and it is the way that they move that it makes it the most scary thing.  I try to keep looking because the spider is to big to be real but I cant and just shut my eyes.  I know I am awake I have even tryed to see these spiders when half awake and willed them into existance but they are only there when I dont will them
. I also have seen a dark figure in shabby dark clothes over the cot of my daughter and i knew he wasnt real i couldnt see his face and had the courage then to stare and will him away.  My daughter is older now but reports this shabby 'coyboy' man as she calls him watching her on many occasions..she now sleeps with me in my bed because i understand how scary these things can be. I can explain them awayto myself as not real but shes to young to but  despite that seems not be that terrified. I never told her about this man although from what she describes they are similar .  I know it sounds slightly crazy/out there and for that reason i havnt gone to a doctor or told anyone.  Also when I was younger I used to have waking 'trance staring episodes' periods of time about 5-10 seconds where everything around me used to go in slow motion but become very clear and sureal and every sound was really loud.
My daughter since a very young age has these 'trance episodes' where she isnt quite with me for a minute or so even when you try to talk to her. Is there a solution ? and if there is I think it woud be far worse than the symptoms which are manageable if scary. Although she is now 10 we still share a bed because it makes her feel safe.
I just spoke to my brother about this! Mine was exactly the same but disappeared so quick, that I didn't get details to that of numbers circulating. But what i seen was a lime green orb like structure that almost reminded me of the atomic symbol used with a bunch of green atoms circulating within itself. But like hundreds of them. I awoke for some reason, and as soon as I opened my eyes it startled me to the extent that I blurted out, HOLY ****! Then I thought to myself, I know it must have been startling and real for me to say that outloud like that. I try not to talk like that if I can help it. Out of the two times that it happened, the first time, I awoke because I felt this presence drawing my breath or soul our of my mouth while slept. I awoke, and for a milisecond something disappeared. I placed a quick cross above my bed that I made with a piece of paper that says, " Gods love for me protection cross". and I wrote on the back, "In the name of Jesus Crist, Amen". So far, since then, I have had good sleep think God! It hasn't been long, but so far so good:). By the way, I sleep with a bible and read a chapter everyday, but apparently it seems to have not worked, so I threw up the cross just incase;) Maybe you can try it. I would like to hear more about this if you want.
Wow i am glad to know i don;t suffer alone... On awakening suddenly, i have  witnessed  a Big spider crawling on my ceiling and then disappearing this has happened twice in the past 6months.What does this mean?..
Me and you seem to have the same issue...on awakening...seeing disappearing spider on the ceiling (very big spider)  it disappeared liked it was mulitcolours of light
For the past year I have been waking from a sound sleep to see patterns on the ceiling almost grid like,in the shape of a flower at times. I will watch them for a while and they fade. It seems that I am perfectly wide awake. now the patterns have a face in the center with a mouth that is constantly chewing. I know it sounds weird as hell.I have see a spider i think maybe once. What I see is mostly these really beautiful patterns. The chewing mouth is a bit scary.
You are not alone, I too have seen a video camera fly across my room in the middle of the night. I also though there was a device recording in the the corner of my room. This always happens in the middle of the night.I awake suddenly and I see things.I am clearly awake and blink my eyes several times and the image is still there. I have seen figures at the end of my bed, including people, animals objects and a cameras.
I see spiders that move on the ceiling..then I saw why looked like numbers and equations
I looked this topic up because I've seen the very large spider coming from a thin web lowering down from my ceiling right in my face I roll to get out of the way and its gone. It's been happening since I was 15 so 11 years now only 4 different times until recently. This past week I've woken 2 times to vividly seeing a black large spider on my wall right by me. I see it so clearly I can describe in detail it's legs. My husband has to tell me there's nothing there. This has to mean something. Can we all be one big coincidence?
I had that problem when I was a little girl I would wake up in the middle of the night and see scorpions, ants, roaches, and beetles in my bed this went on for about 3yrs. The last time it happened I woke up and seen a big spider in a Web but the Web wasn't connected to anything; not sure if it was real or not(but pretty sure it wasn't) I slid underneath it and went to sleep at the other end of the bed, the next morning I woke up and of course nothing was there. Nothing has happened since.
My husband experiences the spider hallucinations very regularly.  Sometimes he sees other things, like orbs, lights, even a seahorse once.  He is definitely asleep when this happens, as he has a glazed wide-eyed look on his face, and often speaks gibberish.  I usually can calm him down, but a lot of times he leaps out of bed, turns on the light and flails about wildly trying to convince me of what he sees.  It's very interesting to have read all these different experiences, and know it's a pretty common occurrence after all!  I don't know how to treat this disorder, my husband has been having night terrors for the whole time I've known him (and was apparently a sleep walker as a child).  It can be quite disruptive to my sleep given he some times wakes a couple of times a night.  Even the slightest movement on my part can set him off.  Interestingly, he never seems to have night terrors when we are staying overnight at a hotel when on holiday - it only happens at home!
happened to me too. i dont see spiders but different varieties of objects. sometimes weird flying objects from south to north, then some spots on the walls. never saw people or anything humanoid (thank god) but yea the most creepy are the ones that 'mask' an object in the room. like a stereo speaker becomes something with eyes etc. never heard any sounds or sleep walking. there's something not related but equally as creepy. whenever im sitting on my bed or laying down, there are times when i feel the bed sinking as if someone is sitting on it. weird.
I've been experiencing this alot lately, almost every night. Spiders are very common for me. Sometimes it's just one spider and other times it can be hundreds at once. Snakes are also common. Most of the time i just see abstract objects and colours that don't make much sense.
Once in a while i see people standing around in my room, they are either looking at me or just standing there like they can't see me.
I do not believe in ghosts but i guess this could be where ghost stories come from because it looks very real sometimes.

For me it's really easy to get rid of these hallucinations. They usually disappear after blinking a couple of times or focusing on another object in the room. I'd say they last about 5 to 10 seconds on average.

I'm wondering if i have a sleeping disorder because i have these hallucinations so often.
This is so strange. I looked this up because I've been having waking hallucinations, almost always spider(s) but one time it was a baby's face moving across the paint on my wall. The spider ones usually make me spring out of my bed yelling, like one time it was multiple spiders and many webs all over me and my bed and wall. This is getting ****** up
Me too. On waking I see the same thing, a big black hairy tarantula hanging over my head that gradually goes up it's web and fades away.  The one I had this morning was a cat holding a mouse in it's teeth but I'm sure that's because my poor cat got struck and killed by a car a month ago and it broke my heart. He loved to hunt mice.

But I wonder why almost everybody sees a spider? I'm not even afraid of spiders, I find them fascinating.
I have seen many...things but for me I'm always already awake and just woke up from a dream (always different but just as strange) it's just that I can't move for a good 20-30 seconds and I see like pixelated shadows or sometimes a face appear on a wall in my room and get closer until I turn on a light or force myself to close my eyes. I doubt I've imagined these things every other two weeks or so for about 3 months. Does anyone have any ideas for a prospective disorder?
I found this post after typing "waking up hallucinating," on google because of an experience that happened to me last night. The funny part is that it involved a spider which I did not expect. I woke up screaming "What the ****?!" and actually woke my parents up because I am on vacation so i am sharing a room with them. Im 16 btw and my name is Gabe. I was pointing at a spider that was just either on my face or near my face as it crawled away  quickly. It was absolutely huge. It crawled away and disappeared somewhere. My parents said "I think youre just dreaming." I figured that might be the case after a minute but it shocked me because it looked so real and i DID see it. Weird stuff like this has been happening to me lately and i almost feel like its supernatural. This stuff never happened before I started practicing spirituality and sort of wakened my third eye. It might be just a disorder or something scientific but i dont know. Another thing that happened to me once was that Ive waken up seeing people and movements and sometimes they are even people I know. I also sleep walk occasionally and sleep talk very often possible every night because whenever I sleep in the same room as somebody else they tell me I sleep talked. I dont know whats going on but Ive been having mad night terrors. One time I was dreaming and all of a sudden I was paralyzed in my dream. Then I woke up and was in sleep paralysis and couldn't move and felt like something was pressing on my chest and it was painful and hard to breath. Can somebody please tell me anything you know about this? Im really curious...Hopefully I don't have a serious condition or something like that.
I also woke up once having a sensation that a mouse or rat was in my sleeping bag attacking me, biting, scratching and mawling my hand and arm. i jumped out of bed in a panic, turned the light on and...nothing there.
me too. 3 months ago I also saw a huge spider as big as football crawling between my wall and ceiling (I was shocked and asked myself what the hell is this?) then after 5 seconds it started to disappear slowly and vanished in thin air totally. i told it to them and none of them believed me.

I'm just amazed to find out that I'm not alone in this. there's a lot of us experiencing this and most of the time right after our sleep. and what also amazes me is why spider? why not centipede why not cockroach why not scorpion?

why spiders?
This makes me feel alot better! I am actually going in for a sleep study in a few weeks to get this checked out. Just from looking on google i think i might have sleep apnea, which is causing a lack of oxygen to the brain, making me hallucinate when i sleep and also i get really bad fatigue during the day.

I originally used to see spiders all the time when i was younger, then about 5 years ago it started more frequently, with me waking up one morning around 3, seeing a dark figure of a girl sitting on the side of my boyfriends side of the bed, looking down at him. I originally panicked and thought someone had broken into our house to rob us, then realised it wasn't real when it started to sort of evaporate. Since then i have seen spiders, giant butterflys, an old man with a beard next to the bed, jellyfish floating on the bed, the curtain rail stretching into the wall, raining in the bedroom, weird creatures that don't even exist looking like a hybrid of an ant and a crab (around the size of a cat) etc etc etc. First time i thought it was a ghost or something, now i realised that i just have a sleeping disorder. Fingers crossed i can get treatment if it turns out to be sleep apnea and then i can feel alot more "AWAKE" and less sleepy during the day.

I actually have a theory that most of the time people are seeing "Ghosts" they are actually just hallucinating from Sleep Apnea or things of the sought.
Thank god!!! Finally I see I am not alone. Mine has been getting worse recently and is really scary.  Only had spiders once, but have had an alligator in bed with me, things coming through the curtains at me, a lady walking towards me and it is so scary.  Only happens when in bed alone and usually when I have a lot on my mind and feeling a bit stressed.  This is the only group I have found which describes exactly what I experience. Thought I was going mad!!!
The exact same thing happens to me lol. My husband thinks I'm crazy and it's not always spiders one time I woke up and told my husband to take a mirror off of the wall because i thought it was about to fall and didn't want it to break. I don't have them all the time, but probably at least once a month.
This has started w/ me also in the past 24-36 hours.

It's like a spider or some beetle/bug like image and it scurries away from me quickly.

I mean like super fast. And When I see them, they crawl beneath a book or beneath something, just scurrying along and I know that there is something behind this enough for me to take notice because it has only happened again for the 3rd time or more today and yesterday, but just now, I saw it on my computer and I was speechless, as if something is trying to get my attention.

Let me ask you something (all of you) Are any of you going through a particularly unusual time in your life where things appear chaotic (you are able to sleep fine) but when you begin to concentrate on a project or when it is quiet, is it that you see these images (they ARE spiders, beetles and bug like creatures that are NOT there).

They are NOT floaters (which would indicate that I were tired).

Ask yourself what is it that any of you maybe be dealing with in your day to day life which has you on the most important deadline of your life or that something mid-way tragic has occurred that you may have very little control over (for example: you have heard some disturbing news and yet the news is out of your reach and the news is serious enough but not to where you have any true control over it?)

Ask yourself (this only happens when I am AWAKE and not coming from a dream state) Ask yourself what is truly bothering you deep down inside.

I mean, I am on my cycle and lately I have felt angry (at an injustice) that I cannot express or it will affect too many other people that I love and care about and yet SOMETHING must be done OR are any of you in the middle of multiple occurances of overwhelming news that you have heard where (again) you feel powerless to stop it or that there is some LIFE deadline approaching that you may not be ready to approach and that you may feel that you may not truly be ready or equipt to delve into it.

I do sense that there is something much MORE to it because this is the second website that I have come across where all of the characteristics of description are remarkably similar and they all have to do with some form of something crawling, or that it is a spider or a beetle.

For some is a very real and something much more to it than our "imagination" because on the surface I am not thinking or even looking for these spiders or beetles or whatever these scurrying things are and the fascinating thing is that I am wide awake.

This has never ever happened to me before and I sense that this is something to take seriously to the point where if any of you have a relationship with Lord Christ, then, for those who have such an intimate relationship, I suggest to please ask Him what they mean and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth of their origin.

For others who do NOT believe in Our Lord Christ, speak to some one who does believe b/c I sincerely believe that it is more than just not getting enough sleep or that it can easily be written off.

There is someting more to this.

I have had a number of back to back incidents  occur in my own life recently and these incidents are life changing and they force me to review an aspect of my childhod or a calling to be still and to wait.

Whatever it is, call on the Benevolent Spirit of a Divine Power Greater than us (for me, I am contacting Our Lord Christ Jesus because I do not want to mess around with this and there are somethings that are coming to pass around us as a society and this is NOT a coincidence, there is no way that so many people across the world (including Canada and the United States as well as our international neighbors who are sharing something of a warning about ourselves or over some message that we may be too busy to overlook.

I think that these shadow creatures may increase in size and take over if we do not just call out in prayer for insight and clarlty because we do not know what this is and only my Maker can only know what is going on inside me to where this needs to be explained.

Folks, do not write this off, try praying for specific understanding and wait, and watch to  listen for the answer.

Whatever it is, it is a warning of some sort, because I have read that others are flat out seeing full fledged shapes (unexplainable to them--like blobs--not orbs).

Another person described seeing disfigured life forms and I can only imagine that this BEGAN as a spider or a beetle or something fast and small to now where the issue has not been taken seriously.

This is more along something spiritual which needs to be discern and need to ask before these elusive images become too big to handle.

Just ask yourself many questions. Am I a control freak? Is there some one in my family who is calling out to me?

Is there something that needs my attention? Am I feeling guilty or falsely accused about something?

AM I in a situtation in which I feel obligated to be in and am torn but hate it desperately to the point where if I do not get out that someone will get hurt?

This is serious, so take it seriously just as we would anything else that should not be in our lives?

Is there something in our lives that should not be there? Am I not seeing the full picture about a situation? AM I in denial?

Is this denial causing me to force myself to make life and death choices?

Ask for help and not by any Wiccan or Ouija Board or anything like that because this will only instigate or worsen the issue and it may cost you something very precious.

There is something that we should not take lightly.

Look at the clues for one another's comments and investigate and whether you believe in our Lord Christ or NOT, I would ask for His help any way because it certainly cannot harm you to do so.

I know it isn't coming from something positive, but it is leading to something that we should never have to deal with any more if we take it seriously/ What is the underlying life change?

There are too many people writing lengthy replies concerning the very same thing.

And since I have been writing about this, I have not seen anything. So, there is something spiritual about this because when I wrote this, I felt a calm or a closing in on an answer.

Let's all come back and contribute what ever it is that you have come to find out. I will bookmark this page and hope that SOMEONE here will have something to reveal to us.

Prayer and Petition helps, it is the things that we do not see that are the things which eventually rule or govern our lives.

Peace.
These hallucinations are real and when I began to pray to Our Lord, they DID go away.

It has something to do where your environment, person, or something within self is around unloving or things that are ungodly in your sphere of life and they are so close to the surface that it no longer manifests in a dream state, however, it is like your spirit being warned that something that is happening within or externally does not belong in your life or in your heart or mind.

Sometimes, the spirit in others eminate something dark and at first sight, we can miss it, but when it is quiet and where we are open to listening and hearing, it is then when these images begin the manifest because though you cannot touch it or actually and physically "see it", these are spirit eminating from people and actual dark spirits which may come from self and others.

They are pestilances and annoyances of ugliness which is coming from people or belief systems that should be conquered through prayer and through calling out to Christ Jesus. For me, this has actually healed my mind and my heart.

Sometimes we do not want to believe that they come from those who we love, but many times (once we seek the truth and face it) they come from the thoughts and spirits of those who we love or something that is wrong or ugly happening around us or within ourselves or from others and we need to pray and ask that our hearts and our mind be guarded and that we call out in prayer to ask for protection and also ask to be revealed to what the source is.

Most times, it is from something that we are around or that is preoccupying our minds that subconsciously should not be there.

Go back to the time when you began seeing these pestilances and ugly images and you may find out the origin of the problem, it is in combination of spiritual exhaustion (ther are such things as spiritual vanpires) people or groups or even family members who are: 1) physically sick. 2). From an evil spirit 3). from a person , group or family member who live or think or believe in unnatural or entertain unloving thoughts 4) person, family member, or group who wants to suck out your joy and energy (something of a very selfish and hateful place within them or affecting you.

Investigate this and pray and ask for the truth to be revealed and be open to be allowed the truth. Do not deny where they are coming from (because it may be that the person, group or atmosphere is not what we think they are on the surface.

On the surface they may appear as one way, but deep down inside they may be deeply disturbed and if that is the case, pray for that person and pray that to Our Father and Our Lord Christ to guard your heart and your mind and ask for the wisdom to listen and to avoid being stiff-necked about this situation.

When I involved Christ Jesus, He revealed to me what it was and I was led to scripture regarding my situation.

Each will be different for each case. But please seek the truth in prayer and for those who believe, seek the truth and protection in Christ Jesus because He really does know everything.
I have had hallucinations for about 22 years now, I have seen bugs on walls, but more commonly, people, monsters, ghosts, etc. It has been a concern of mine for a while I just blame it on lack of sleep, stress, or that I feel I am haunted. I don't believe I am legitimately haunted but i often wake to being pinned down, loud noise "waking me" to see a figure in the corner waiting for me to acknowledge it before it attacks. Nearing 30 years old I am struggling with this more often and it is getting worse. I wish I had a definate answer to this, I cannot explain it but it is the most terrifying thing to experience.
Wow I'm seeing black spiders too...  That is really weird...
Hello. My name is James and I see these spiders too. I have had other visitors as well: small children, violent demons, and distant people across the room. They almost always come to me within 15 minutes of falling asleep, and are most certainly coming to me because they want SOMETHING. I know they are there when my dream turns extra vivid and I sense a presence forcing me to wake up. I have been having these experiences for 16 years now, and during that time I have taken steps to correct the problem without medication. First, I will let you know that I am a scientist by trade, and have used my skills to aide in medical, astronomical, and military discoveries. Skeptical in the extreme, I would be the first to use meds if I thought they would help. My best answer to the question "what are they" is this: they are most certainly spirits. The way I know is through inference. While one may postulate that a "ghost" or "spirit" would tangibly interact with the physical plane to prove it's existence, it is a arrogant assumption of the living that any spirit would be good at this post mortem. By definition, being "alive" asserts the notion that WE THE LIVING ANIMATE THE PHYSICAL PLANE. The dead can not do this directly very well, if at all. What they do appear to influence are "coincidences" and "lucid dreaming states". To all those who follow what I am saying now, please consider the following actions to confront the spirits who are CLEARLY trespassing on your domain:

1) burn incense in the vicinity you last saw the spirit; sage is a good choice, but a puff of tobacco would work in a pinch too

2) if you pray to a diety, use that dity's authority to expel or help the presence should you determine it to be unfriendly or friendly

3) IF IT IS A MENACE: get up (if you can), and punch it in the face. if it is a menace to you, show no fear and be a menace right back

4) go to the nearest cemetery (during the day is just fine) and explain what is going on to the headstones. pick a few and write down their names. when you need help, kindly ask for their assistance and they will help you. if you do indeed do this, i strongly suggest you do something to entice them as well. i play music and tell jokes for them at the graveyard. they seem to like it

please, do not be afraid of these spirits. show no fear and you will solve the problem. :)
Hi Swaff27,

Please read my most recent post to understand what is going on. There was something in the post that I forgot to mention though...

When you follow the steps I have outlined, you will notice a change in your life. Coincidences will begin to align in your favor, especially if you choose to entertain the spirits in the graveyard. Read your favorite book, bring an instrument (one of my favorites is the harmonica), leave a little food...something to entice their favor. Try to keep notes on what names help and which don't. You may also ask them to look over people you care about. Should you EVER EVER EVER notice that you have brought a bad spirit home, use my 4 steps to get rid of it. When the spirits come to you in your dream, demand that they show themselves to you. When you awake to find them...show no fear and try to understand why they have come to you. It is emotional, and we almost always experience fear first in the encounters. Conquer your fear of these visitors, and try to understand why they are there. We are perceptive to something special, but I don't really know what it is yet.
I'm so scared, it's 11:30 here and I woke up suddenly to my blanket on top of my stiff and hard, so hard it was like a dis formed thin rock laying over me. I don't know why but I have never been so scared in my life. I don't know of its because of all the medication I have been taking from the kidney infection or what.... Nothing like this has ever happened to me before.
Most of the time it is medication...if this happens consult with a doctor!

I used to hallucinate a lot as a kid and then it kinda stopped...i always saw bugs on the walls of my house or spiders and i used to know what was going on but couldnt speak or move for about a minute - it became increasingly worse as i got into my adult years im now 24 and i see people standing at my window or bats ..spiders moving close to my face (which seems to be the most famous one) ...but now i have been expierencing what feels like an explosion that goes on in my brain and i wake but cannot move...i feel completely paralyzed and cannot move...does this happen to anyone?

it happened to me again 2 nights ago and im starting to worrying
I experience the same thing nightly. Most times I know it isn't real (after so many years) but every now and then when I think it is possible, I turn on the light just to double check. Don't know how to get these visions of spiders (mostly) to stop. Glad to hear it's not just me. I don't do drugs or drink and I don't think I have a mental issue. It at least my doctor hasn't told me I have a mental illness.
My situation is nearly identical to yours! I'm 12 (don't be agist or anything) and I nearly drifted off when a sudden clang from a spring in my bed made me jolt, and to the left of my bed there is a bookshelf with a hollow opening, and beside my television was a brown, beetle-like spider. I wanted to scream, but for some reason I couldn't, and the next 3 seconds is faded away slowly. This is my first night terror, ever.
This just happened to me last week for the first time..I am 25 y/o. I had it happen twice now. The first time I woke up and saw a huge spider crawling on the wall..I was unsure it it was real or not because this has never happened to me before. It was like a dark shadow spider though, It was very dark and I didn't see colors or details or anything. Last night I awoke to a creepy face across the room. This is a pretty creepy thing to wake up even if it disappears. I thought I was crazy. Nice to see so many people who understand and have went through the same thing.
OMG!! I seen this same thing last year in my room!!!
I have had the same thing. I see spiders a lot. One time I saw a spider and there actually was a cane spider in my room. That was pretty crazy. I am a light sleeper and wake up often in the night. I have had figures in my room that disappear very quickly. But last night I saw some kind of demon like figure with black and red stripes crawling on my wall. I saw it thought it would go away right as my eyes adjusted but it was still there. I screamed bloody murder and started crying my whole body shook and I was afraid to try and sleep again for hours. I am glad that other people have the same experiences and it is not just me. Seeing a demon like figure has only happened one other time in my life when I was 7 years old. Some funnier ones I have had is people in my room setting up their own restaurant table and making me serve them food (I have been a waitress for years). I start serving them and then have to yell at them "Go away I am sleeping!" I think the scary thing about these dreams hallucinations is that they always take place in my room as I am half asleep or waking. 99 % of the time I can recognize that, but last night I couldn't. I think me not understanding that it was a dream and being scared for my life, scared me more than anything.
I often hallucinate in the middle of the night. I have heard of people being unaware, but I always remember mine (I discuss it with my partner who confirms what happened).

One comment on here that caught my eye was that it is related to some kind of voodoo, which is surprising considering this is supposed to be a medical site!

The fact that people mostly see spiders is no coincidence. We have all seen spiders in our bedrooms at some stage, so our hallucinations are merely trying to be realistic. If you hallucinated a purple zebra with 8 heads, would you be panicking as much?

Furthermore, I don't think it can be put down to arachnophobia. I have petted a tarantula, and I still see spiders. We all know that some spiders are venomous, and so I think the human mind is naturally cautious where spiders are concerned.

Last night I swore a snake was in my bed, which is admittedly less of a possibility than a spider. I call this subconscious creativity!

More recently I have experienced jolts as I'm falling to sleep which unsettles me momentarily.

I read that humans sometimes feel like they're falling as they're beginning sleep, and science's best guess is that it is an inherited trait from when humans slept in trees. Think of it as the mind's way of keeping the body on its toes!

My other experiences which may be linked are that I once had a panic attack, and that I often struggle to get out of bed in a morning. I'm at an ideal weight but I'm not very fit, so I think my heart rate is probably irregular. And since physical problems can influcence dreams, I'm convinced it is related to a lack of fitness on my part.
Wow! I had extremely severe sleep problems like everyone else here is describing for years. It got to the point that I dreaded going to sleep every night. Its fascinating to me that the spider thing is a common theme as once I woke up and saw a dinner plate sized spider crawl out of and back into the bathroom attached to the bedroom I was sleeping in. It looked so completely "solid" and real that I was only convinced it didn't exist after I turned on all the lights and  and searched for it and found nothing or anywhere it could have escaped to. Other than that I've seen many regular sized spiders that disappeared after a few moments of close inspection, levitating scrolls, non existent books(both levitating and sitting on my bedside table) floating eyeballs, words printed on the walls, faces and innumerable other stuff. It may be nothing but coincidence, but it feels worth noting that I used to be a vegetarian and when I started regularly eating meat again these sleep issues went away. Its entirely possible that one had nothing to do with the other, or even if it did, it may just be some personal biochemical quirk, but as I said earlier it feels worth considering.
I used to see spiders and bugs all the time, when I went into a panic is when they disappeared too. But lately I've been hallucinating that I'm texting someone and in my mind I have a full conversation with them for hours but then I come to my senses and realize that I wasn't texting anyone. This had me seriously freaked and even worse, now I've been actually TALKING like I think I'm talking on the phone. I did it for TWO HOURS last night. It's getting worse and more frequent. I have no idea what to do.
these things happen to me all the time! at first it started in my parents house, i would wake up to always a guy standing there. he was either in my doorway, at my window, or next to me sometimes with a  gun to my head. it always felt so real my heart would pound. it would vary from a guy to seeing spiders. either spiders on my ceiling or one crawling on me. i would jolt up and freak out.i thought maybe my house was haunted or something crazy. but  now that i bought a house with my boyfriend it rarely happens but when it does, its just always a spider crawling on him, i would jump up and freak out telling him to move theres a spider on him. I'm not sure why this keeps happening
I am seeing spiders too and when the spider disappears after I scream , I wonder if it was happening while asleep or awake. I thought I was crazy. I feel better that others have the same experience but why all about spiders... weird connection.
These are called "hypnopompic" hallucinations. This does not have to be spiders, sometimes it may be people at the end of the bed, colors, or illuminated walls. It may be linked to some form of narcolepsy but you cannot be sure until you do a sleep study. The best thing to do is ask your doctor is there is a sleep study that you could take to rule any possible issues out.
Yes I have seen this same ball shaped object with spike like objects protruding from it. That is a great description as I have had had trouble doing so and have been describing it as a bomb with flames at the top. In my experience it does the same thing sort of moves rapidly up and thru the ceiling. I have also seen rotating, oscillating Medetrons cubes several times, and more recently spiders.
omg I know this post is old but I saw this too..mine had clear round looking crystals bubbled around it.. but it floating across the room..it was very small..I cant think of anything like it..I was awake for sure.I also see the red spiders very thin and large and sometime I see 100's of flies on the walls and ceiling and within 8 seconds there are gone..I feel like someone is watching me this all just started a year ago..
I see it too! but mine is clear with bubble like crystals.. I just started seeing this.. also I am awake, this does look like a little space ship but its just really small, I really dont know what to think
I remember waking up, in the middle of the night, and looking at my hands.  I could see red and yellow heat waves coming off them.  Sometimes green or white.  About twenty years ago I saw my first figure of an old lady standing next to the bed and yelling at me.  I jumped up and threw my pillow at it but only succeeded in taking out the lamp and water glass.   Then I started waking up to what I would call writings and symbols floating in the air above me.  They looked like they were written on pains of glass, one behind the other.  I started to enjoy staring at them to see what my mind or the universe was trying to share with me.  I've seen the spiders and the black mist moving around the room as well.  Doesn't happen often but it usually comes up if I'm stressed or not getting enough air when I'm sleeping.  I would imagine its a combination of physical and metal response the body is working through.  I don't fear the scary stuff anymore the fascination of the experience is kind of cool.  I just with took the time to keep a journal of it all... I think we are tapping into the great power of the mind.   Sleep well!!
thank you thank you, you just put a name to my exact experience i had 8 years ago.  it was the beginning of my awakening process.  u rock
I have experienced many of the same things as you, Abygrrl, since I was 12. I saw the Grim Reaper at 12  in my doorway while in bed(and I had a bright night light on, so it couldn't have been floaters). I went thru it for years until I had enough. A few years ago(and I am 40 now), I started taking Ambien at night. My hallucinations almost completely stopped until recently. I woke up this morning at 4:12 AM to see lovely skeleton octopus-looking creatures floating in my room along with floating shadow figures which looked like angels. I can never see their faces, though. This hallucination lasted the longest ever. I sat there for over 5 minutes fully awake experiencing these hallucinations. I rubbed my eyes several times, sat up and even looked at the dim light cast on the wall in my bathroom. I'd rather have the room fully dark, because seeing these things in the light is really scary! So I just laid on my bed and enjoyed the show.....ugh. Well, at least I didn't see spiders this morning like I usually do. I fear spiders more than anything.  What I saw was just surreal. Anyone have any advice? Should I get an MRI? This is getting ridiculous and I can't imagine dealing with this for the rest of my life. I've never done drugs or alcohol and I don't have any mental health issues, seizures(I don't think) or narcolepsy.