Sleep Disorders Community
Hallucinations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hallucinations

For a little over a year now I have been waking up almost every night and thinking that someone is in my room. I think i'm waking up right out of a dream because during the few seconds between being asleep and awake I talk to the shadow and then when it doesn't say anything back is when I freak out and grab for my laptop or phone for light. Once I see that nothing is there realize what's happened and I go back to sleep almost immediately. The only thing that helped was a night light but its hard to fall asleep with it on so I rarely use it. It gets so bad some times that I wake up screaming for my parents or my brothers, and by the time they get to my room I've realized whats going on and am fine. When it happens it is very scary but it only last about 30 seconds. It definitely something I can live with but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this problem. A solution would be nice too :) Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Hallucinations during the sleep cycle are a parasomnia event that can target any sensory perception, be it visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory or other. One form of sleep related hallucination, hypnopompic hallucination is often considered as part a dream, usually occurs upon waking, and may also be accompanied by sleep paralysis. This can be due to insomnia, anxiety, stress or other sleep issues and may need to be checked by a doctor or sleep specialist  for proper  evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.