Sleep Disorders Community
Having a dream and laughing out loud HARD in reality while asleep.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hello there,

Sometimes when I am sleeping and having a vivid dream, I will be laughing in my dream, but also happens in reality. I will be dead asleep and my fiance will have to wake me up because I am laughing profusely and loud and hard to the point where i have tears running down my face but i am not aware that it is in real life happening. I think i am just laughing in my dreams....

I have looked online and found mixed thoughts about this. Some things say its bad and you can die? because it could be linked to a brain tumor or something and others say its no different than sleep walking or having a bad dream and crying or screaming in it....

thoughts?
Well I don't know but I doubt the first finding about death.

I have trouble-mares every night and this causes me some emotional problems, but the only thing it make me do is wake up.  My wife says I do some kicking/jumping of legs - but no outcries.

Do you remember anything about the dream when you wake up?  What was so funny?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be related to Somniloquy or sleep-talking as it popularly called occurs in about 15% of children. In this disorder the person is not aware of his actions. This is because of the poor development of the sleep/wake cycle. Areas of the brain that deal with talking are active, while the areas that deal with cognition and awareness are sleeping, hence the person sleep talks.

In adults it could be associated with stress, anxiety or other sleep disorders. Sleep deprivation and stress are known to aggravate these symptoms. If the symptoms are interfering with your sleep schedules consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hello guys (': I got really interested into this subject when I woke up laughing out loud, really hard. I faintly remembered my area but I was in the phase where I could still here and I woke myself up. I texted a friend & was like dude, I just woke up laughing out loud. & she was like that's crazy. Then I spent the night at her house lol an in the morning she said you're a sleep talker. An you laughed a little bit. I asked her what did the laugh sound like an she said my average happy laugh.  I also remember when I was young, I used to wake up myself by crying. I'd feel my tears drip onto my pillow an the sobs an little whimpers id do. (I'm 16 now btw) but that'll wake me up. I don't know,, but it seems harmless. Happy laughing guys!
I do this a lot but I know it's due to me being a half insomniac and my sleep cycles all over the place. I really wouldn't go as far to be talking about tumours in the brain though! Some people talk in their sleep and so do I as well as jolting in my sleep (when I DO get to sleep!) I wouldn't worry to much Hun x
This things happened to me earlier before i woke up. She said i was laughing and she wake me up. I know that i am laughing but idk that it was real. And wen she wake me up i always have a teddy in my side and i get scared idk why..my sister said im crazy :/ because i laughed wen i asleep.

Do u guys encounter like that u laugh and then wen u wke up u get scared. This things is not a first time .
I'm 37 and this happens a lot to me. I love it and always wake up laughing out loud and almost to the point where I can't breathe. My day is always wonderful when this happens. I don't worry about it I just wait for the next one, they're always different happy dreams about four of them and they just repeat. My favorite is I'm chasing a chihuahua around a hotel and every once in a while he stops to wait for me to catch up, but when he looks at me(smiling) he has the mouth and teeth from the Cherry Pie song from Warrant.... Its solo freaking funny. I never catch him by the way. Kinda like the coyote and roadrunner!,
I am 37 years old and my husband just informed me that I "giggle" in my sleep?? I know I am a chatterbox at night but I never have any idea what I'm talking about. I rarely remember any dreams and this giggling thing is new to me.please help and tell me what is going on??? I also have more nights than not that I wake up almost like every hour and I am exhausted the following day..it has to mean something I would think?