Sleep Disorders Community
Having a dream and laughing out loud HARD in reality while asleep.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hello there,

Sometimes when I am sleeping and having a vivid dream, I will be laughing in my dream, but also happens in reality. I will be dead asleep and my fiance will have to wake me up because I am laughing profusely and loud and hard to the point where i have tears running down my face but i am not aware that it is in real life happening. I think i am just laughing in my dreams....

I have looked online and found mixed thoughts about this. Some things say its bad and you can die? because it could be linked to a brain tumor or something and others say its no different than sleep walking or having a bad dream and crying or screaming in it....

thoughts?
Well I don't know but I doubt the first finding about death.

I have trouble-mares every night and this causes me some emotional problems, but the only thing it make me do is wake up.  My wife says I do some kicking/jumping of legs - but no outcries.

Do you remember anything about the dream when you wake up?  What was so funny?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be related to Somniloquy or sleep-talking as it popularly called occurs in about 15% of children. In this disorder the person is not aware of his actions. This is because of the poor development of the sleep/wake cycle. Areas of the brain that deal with talking are active, while the areas that deal with cognition and awareness are sleeping, hence the person sleep talks.

In adults it could be associated with stress, anxiety or other sleep disorders. Sleep deprivation and stress are known to aggravate these symptoms. If the symptoms are interfering with your sleep schedules consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.