Sleep Disorders Community
Having trouble sleeping during the day

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Having trouble sleeping during the day

I don't honestly think that I've ever had Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder but I've been able to change my sleeping patterns easily for as long as I can remember. During the Summers and Winters when I wasn't in school, I would stay up late and sleep in. Although initially tired during the first night, I would be able to sleep during the next day without any problems. This has carried on for years, me being able to flip flop my schedule as easily as I pleased.

However during this year, starting a few days ago, I have realized that even without trying to reset my schedule I'm getting tired much more easily during the night time hours and waking up (without aid) during the mornings. My brain feels slightly groggy but my body is wide awake and will not allow me to go back to sleep. And on the off chance that I do manage to go back to sleep, it's not as deep a sleep as it used to be. Before when nothing could manage to wake me up, everything seems to wake me up now. I'm twenty-five, soon to be twenty-six. So I know that I couldn't have had DSPD, at least I don't think I could, as DSPD usually grows out of adults during their early twenties.

Now I know that my question may upset those that have actual sleeping problems, which I don't suppose you could call mine a problem since you're suppose to be awake during the day, but I've grown quite accustomed to my nocturnal life and prefer that over moving around during the day. What can I do or at least try to reset my sleeping pattern back to the way that I want it? At this point, I'd try anything!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You could be having a circadian rhythm disorder. There is a circadian rhythm for all living organisms. It is a 24 hour cycle rhythm and the biological clock within that individual adapts to this rhythm. You have set your rhythm in a particular way which suits your modes of work. To change this it will have to be a gradual process. You will have to reset the rhythm. For e.g. if you want to start getting up earlier, you will have to sleep earlier by say one hour and set an alarm for the time you want to get up. Continue this for some time. Then reset by another hour and repeat the process. This way you can reset your biological clock.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.