Sleep Disorders Community
Head Shaking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Head Shaking

Not sure where this post belongs in sleep disorders forum.

But about 2 and a half years ago it started I'm 18 now, when i finally drift off to sleep sometimes my head shakes violently, i can't move but sometimes i can feel my index finger and little finger moving when i try to move them i cannot open my eyes and everything else is paralysed, my fingers move jerkily like limited movement not sure if i dreamed them moving or whatever.

I never smoke, and i dont drink often maybe once a year? but when i do have something to drink i notice i sleep fine.

One night i looked into it and only found sleep paralysis etc it mention it happens sleeping on my back which i was doing and i had it 8 times in a night once which was a horrifying experience.

After the experience i feel weak, and when i do sleep on my side its uncomfortable and when i have one leg ontop of the other it reoccurs also.. also a drink before i sleep one with sugar in seems to trigger it off also.. but its really getting to me now after 2 years and hasnt passed, can anybody help PLEASE.

Thanks in advance
Hi Antobro, how are you? Hope you might have got evaluated yourself with a neurologist. Are you still getting these head movements while sleep? Do you think these movements continue even when you are asleep? Are you on medications? Is there anything that you do or it stops on its own? You may also be suffering from severe stress and anxiety, which can also be a trigger factor. Also you might probably be having Rhythmic movement disorder. Do try to overcome the stress and relax. Avoid smoking, alcohol and going to bed late night. It is better to consult a neurologist and sleep specialist for further evaluation. Take care and update on your progress.
I have a similar or same problem.When I put myself to sleep and before falling into deep sleep, my head starts moving in a jerkily manner to the right or left. I can feel it but can not stop it or even open my eyes. I am aware of what is happening and I can hear my wife telling me that I am shaking my head and I can talk to her back that I know and feel it but can not stop it or open my eyes.Also when the head shaking starts I feel ear pressure or drumming, with my heart barely beating.
I am 32, and I never drank in my life. But I do smoke.

Any help or ideas what the cause might be ?
Jafra- you described to a T what my boyfreind experiences sometimes, exactly.  He can hear me and he knows he is shaking, but he can't open his eyes, and he says that sometimes he will wake up, but he can't move speak or open his eyes.  I read about sleep paralysis, have you read about this? Has any of you been formally diagnosed with anything?
I kinda have the same problem. Not all the time, but sometimes when I fall asleep I shake my head back and forth to wake myself up. I am paralyzed from the neck down, and I feel that if I don't wake up I will die. That's what my brain tells me anyway. I can hear what's going on around me, but I cannot speak. If sometimes touches me, I wake right up with no problem. I remember the first time this happened when I was 5 yrs. old. I'm 31 now, and it happens like once a month. Why does this happen??