Sleep Disorders Community
Hear music in my head...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hear music in my head...

I have had insomnia for a couple years now and have tried a ton of different things with that. I was on ambien and trazadone for a while, but started to develop a dependence and was feeling more tired even though I was sleeping. Before that I exhausted all of the sleep hygiene and over the counter and herbal remedies. The problem is occasionally sleep onset but always with sleep maintenance. I had a sleep study that didn't show apnea but did show RERA's which indicate upper airway resistance. I've seen an Ear/nose/throat and an allergist and both noticed I had very swollen turbinates. I've tried antihistamines with topical nose sprays and those helped a little with the sleeping but it is still an ongoing struggle. Anyways, that is just background for my question.

Occasionally when I am trying to fall asleep I hear music in my head. Not a distinct tune or song that I know or have heard, mostly muffled sounds like bass and guitar or a band like drums and trumpets.  Basically, it just sounds like the people upstairs are playing music a little louder than I would like when trying to sleep. This only happens if I have one ear on the pillow. If I try to ignore it it gets louder. If I pick my head up off the pillow it goes away and I only hear silence. Some nights when I am sleeping really poorly I will wake up with tinnitus, really loud ringing in my ear, but this is very rare (however I don't know if the two may be related.) Does anyone know what could be causing this?  I haven't mentioned this to my doctor yet because it had seemingly gone away but I have been experiencing it again lately.
I know your post is quite old but I'm in amazement that someone else is experiencing the same thing.  Not just the same thing, but the exact same thing.  I don't hear music in the morning or throughout the day.  Just at night...  Still trying to get an answer.  I don't mind it.  I joke with my husband about it.  But I would just like it explained.  Thank you for making me feel a little less crazy.  
Hi, welcome to the forum, if one perceives something which is not there it is known as hallucination. You are hearing music which is not actually present and it suggests of auditory hallucination. But the presence of such symptoms in the night time is bit unusual.

This may be psychiatric abnormality. Also another possibility is continuous ringing in your ear known as tinnitus due to ear problems. The possibilities for tinnitus are Vascular disorders including Arterial bruits, Arteriovenous shunts, Paraganglioma, Neurologic disorders, Eustachian tube dysfunction, Otosclerosis and Vestibular schwannoma.

You need to undergo complete ear examination supported by brain MRI to rule out any organic lesions. If ENT evaluation result comes normal then have a psychiatric consultation too. Listen to relaxation music and meditation will help. Take care and regards.
I hope you two get to see and read this post and anyone else that has experienced this. I have had this through out my life and kept it to myself fearing that I was crazy or would be considered crazy. I finally told my Fiance a couple of years ago and he suggested I mention it to a doctor and told me I was not crazy. He then referred to me as Radio Gurl as an inside joke. Secretly I still feared I was crazy and refused to mention it to a doctor. About two years ago I started having a lot of trouble sleeping and went for a sleep study. The results came back as not sleep apnea, but they wanted a day time study, because somethings raised a concern. The doctor also asked if I ever experienced some stuff, but used medical terms so I was clueless. Any way, one thing that they asked about was hypnagogic hallucinations, which I quickly denied. I assumed hallucinations equaled crazy. I later learned a hypnagogic hallucinations is an auditory hallucination prior to following asleep and is a symptom of narcolepsy and hypersomnia, I was finally diagnosed with hypersomnia.  Basically you begin dreaming before you are fully asleep. So my suggestion would be to get a sleep study done also. As this is far from abnormal for suffers of these sleep disorders.
I make music.  Send me a message if you hear music in your head- I might be able to make something out of it and possibly offer pay if I get it to the right artists/show.  Maybe this will help to "release" it and turn it into smoe beautiful.
I have the same problem almost exactly, but it's more likely to happen if I'm laying on my right ear to the pillow...then an odd rt. sided headache (or fullness) then music.  I know it's not there but it took a lot of convincing myself!

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/359

http://priory.com/halluc.htm          ...please read sect. 3
I had the exact same thing happen. I'm in the Navy and when I was on deployment when I put my ear (usually it happened on the left ear) to my pillow I heard music and thought it was someone in the next room or something, but when I picked my head up the music stopped. It happened quite a bit on deployment.
When I was a kid I had an incident happen (actually it happened twice). I was lying down to go to sleep and all of a sudden I heard everyone's voice that I knew (and I mean everyone) all talking at once saying things they would say. It was their voices too not mine just saying what they would say. pretty strange
I too use to hear music in my head when I would lay down at night. I was started on Topamax for headaches and the music stopped.
You're hearing your own
Heartbeat. I've heard it too, try not compressing your ear onto the pillow
I have the exact same problem. Its only at night when my ears compressed to the pillow. I thought it was my neighbors and found out it wasn't. Its not an actual song but just a beat. I started having this problem a couple months ago and I also use to take topamax for migrains but had stopped bc it was no longer helping. Could that be the reason I'm hearing it?

I've never been able to sleep well whether I get 6hr or 11hrs at night, I'm always tired. The first thing I think when I wake up is "I can't wait to get home and take a nap". I feel like its puting a huge strain on life. I have a 3yr old and I just can't keep up bc I'm always tired. What can I do?
i have the damnedest, weird repetitive and rhythmical stacatto-like sensations in my tired, old brain, mostly when I read, but always present - or nearly so.
Many things wrong with this abused 69 year old body: totally deaf in left ear and becoming so in right due to Meniere's Syndrome of nearly 30 year's duration; peripheral neuropathy in feet, due to excessive consumption of alcohol for 47 years; severe and constant pain due to rheumatoid arthritis, L2-L4 - or thereabouts; erectile dysfunction since 1999; tics in both feet (toe-wiggling) probably due to neuropathy, and now in synch with the stacatto-like sensations (musically-rhythmical) in my addled brain. Other than FUBAR, any idea what I have - or what I have and am not aware of having?
I think for the people at least that hear something when their ears are to the pillow - that should be the first clue - ignoring that part of it is like a whole nother problem - ne ways perhaps your ears like a stethoscope are picking up things - sometimes mechanics use screwdrivers (like the 3 foot ones) and put it up to an engine and the handle part to the ear to hear inside the engine - have you also noticed that when you squint into the light you see little microbes or something - ne ways it would be good to know for sure right - so start putting your ears to different materials and the ground and etc (it is the process of elimination) - it might be something not to get rid of although who knows
I experience the same thing!! I'm a musician, and alot of my best songs come to me at this time. when i can't sleep, and i hear the music, i take up my recorder or pull my guitar (i always have these handy just in case) and i would either play the music, or humm the tune into my recorder. I think it's a musical gift but ofc sleep is important as well.
thank god i'm not the only one with this prob...I'm usually up at 11-2am ....urgh.....
I also hear music at night, though it's a lyric-less, rock type beat. I do not need to be lying down in bed to hear it, although that's when it usually happens. Sometimes I am sitting up in bed or walking around the room, and I hear it. Once, I heard a loud chorus of people singing (no lyrics) to a violin so loudly that I could barely hear my roommate, and I was walking around my room, folding clothes and such before bedtime.

It's very strange, isn't it?
However, I do listen to music constantly. My ipod heaphons are in my ears roughly 8 of the 12 hours that I'm awake. Perhaps it's having an effect on my brain? I only hear this music (no headphones, ipod turned off) about 2-3 times a year, though... Also, I don't have a sleep disorder.
i hear music in my head. I call it the transistor radio in m head, and it changes stations randomly. Its mostly 60's music, when i experimented with lsd. It doesnt bother me, but i feel like i am never really alone with the music to comfort me.The problem is the same tune will repeat over and over  with occasional interruptions of other tunes. i am currently taking  wellbutrin which seems to have no affect on the music. I fear as i get older it may cause problems. I dont think their is any history of mental disorders in my family. I was diganosed as being schzoid, but i dont think this has any bearing on the problem
I first experienced hearing music, actually a song I heard on the radio 16 years ago and it was related to stress and anxiety. Whenever I heard music while trying to sleep it was usually a hyper arousal reaction because I have had sleep based anxiety for years and usually require something such as klonopin to help me sleep. I am almost sure the medication is a placebo effect for me that provides comfort of not "having to get to sleep on my own" Anyway, I know how annoying the music can be and I wish you luck in finding resolve.
so what are you doing about it should i go see a doctor this thing has i think always been there its just getting worst iam getting older now 46 i am getting scared  i dont want to lose my job or family i used pain kilers for a wile  but i am now kleen just on suboxone to get better dont know if thay is doing it to me just need to know how to stop this or get a better hold on this thing any info would help mine is just like yours hearing the same song over and over agian and its just one part of the song  
When I am sleeping at night I will sometimes have a song playing thru my head also. It's like there is a rock station in my mind that plays music while I am asleep, but often it is the same song over and over - usually a song that I heard earlier in the day or recently. I wish my mind could just be quiet and inactive while I am sleeping. Has anyone heard actual songs while sleeping ( in their mind ? ) or am I the only human on earth with this going on ? :)
Dear All, it just started to me as well. I hear music when I go to sleep, I am a bit afraid, but I want to know the answer. If anyone of You has the answer yet or started to use this ability please write me a few words. Thanks, Susana
Wow!  Like everyone else on here, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)  I remember once, when I was younger, asking someone to put their ear to my ear to see if they could hear it too. I usually notice it only at night when I am trying to sleep, but think that may be because It's the only time it's really actually quiet (no tv, radio, people etc).  Like the original post and many since, what I hear is a faint song that doesn't seem to change.  Not quite loud enough to make out what it is, but loud enough to tell the style/genre, which seems to be random.  It doesn't happen often, seems to come and go at irregular intervals (ie several nights in a row, then not for a long time) It is very much as though a neighbor is playing music a little loud, but (again) as most of you described, when I lift my head it's usually gone.  Recently I heard the music while reading and listening to the hum of the air purifier.  Which throws the ear compression theory out the window (at least for me).  I even opened the door to check (convinced it had to be outside my head) but the night air was completely silent, and when I sat back down it resumed.  It often sounds rock-ish guitar, bass, drums, vocals too quiet to understand the words.  But have had it sound jazz, brass and even choir.  
I have spent a great deal of time around music, sung in bands, choirs, and written music.  Funny thing is the music "in my head" when I write is completely different, i hear that in my normal internal voice, and this really sounds external to me.  
ALL MY LIFE I HAVE BEEN "HEARING MUSIC" I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BI POLAR WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF SCHIZO..YOU KNOW I HAVE HALLUCINATIONS AND WOULD HEAR A LOT OF "TALKING" OR "MUSIC"  MY MUSIC WAS USUALLY A RADIO STATION YOU KNOW IN THE MORNING IT WOULD BE A MALE AND FEMALE AND THEY WERE SO HAPPY COULDNT REALLY MAKE OUT WHAT THEY WERE SAYIN AND THE MUSIC WOULD BE A COMBO OF 2 DIFFER SONGS PLAYIN AT THE SAME TIME AND I COULD ALMOST MAKE OUT ONE OF THE SONGS BUT NEVER HAVE.  I HAVE BEEN ON ALOT OF MEDS OVER THE YRS AND THE VOICES AND MUSIC HAVE STOPPED WITH THE PROZAC BUT I HAVE JUST STARTED TAKING TOPAMAX AND SURPIZED AT HOW MANY I HAVE READ ARE TAKING IT ASWELL.. I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE SUFFERS FROM WHAT I DO BUT IN RECENT YRS I HAVE BEEN ON GEODON (ANTI PYCHOTIC) STOPPED THE MUSIC AND VISIONS BUT DOES SLOW HEARTRATE PROZAC TRAZADONE TO SLEEP (CANT SHUT MY BRAIN DOWN) AND ALSO VERY TENSE ALL THE TIME SO I HAVE MUSCLE SPASMS SO OF COURSE VALIUM IN SMALL DOSES AND NOW I AM ON TOPAMAX WHICH I WAS ALSO T0LD THAT SOMETIMES USED TO HELP WITH  WEIGHTLOSS BEING ON DRUGS LIKE SERAQUEL AND SOME OTHERS I HAVE GAINED A LOT OF WEIGHT AND CAN' T SEEM TO LOSE IT  THE TOPAMAX HASNT REALLY HELPED BUT  BEING OF THE GEODON AND ON THE TOPAMAX I DO NOT HEAR OR SEE THINGS STILL MAYBE THE DOCS ARE RIGHT ON THAT ONE
This happened to me this morning.  With my right side down on the pillow, I heard an actual local radio station playing and I could make out every word the dj was saying as the station actually changed songs.  It was a local rock station. As soon as a lifted my head, it went away. But came back as I started to fall back asleep. Also a couple weeks ago as I was falling asleep, I kept hearing like a crowd of people talking all at the same time just like another person on here said. It sounded like about 10 people were outside carrying on, laughing and talking.  I am on ambien and elavil for my migraines but they are both a small dose.  Next time it happens I want to turn on the radio just to see if that song is playing. It's so weird.
I find its beautiful sensation to have this music playing before i doze off at night. I can't see images clearly in my memory or dreams but my brain can reproduce complex classical music and play it back to me while i'm fully conscious and sleepy. The music sounds as real as if i was listening to it being played. At first I thought that i was somehow composing the music subconsciously until one day i heard the radio announcer start talking at the end of the song. haha. my mind was just on playback. It does give credence to the idea that the brain remembers everything it has ever heard, its just the recall thats the problem. I was amazed at the complexity of the music. I could never hope to remember all the sounds if i was to write it down. I don't agree that we need to see a doctor if we hear music. Its a blessing and a real surprise when it happens. Unless you "see dead people or something" enjoy it!
I've been hearing this same thing for 7yrs. ,since May 2 or 3,2006.....I was 46yrs. old and am now 53...I consider myself a normal person....My Father was a High School Teacher and My Mother was a Registered Nurse,so I grew up in a middle class lifestyle....It started out that I was talking on 11 meter band of radio to a contact that I believe was in Australia, it was on propagation ,so,his signal came and gone,in and out on radio......I turned the radio off and the person   was still talking to Me,better than on the radio(I'm thinking satellite,now)?He say's,"I can read what Your thinking". I'm thinking you got to be shittin' Me?So, It was like saturday morning,I was hungry I walk in to a burrito stand and buy SOMETHING? I come outside and ask this person(male) "What did I buy"?He say's ,"Breakfast Burrito". I say to Myself,"He must be hacked into the cash register,I used a credit card"......It must be NSA.....I've been researching this for 7yrs. ,right? This guy is kind of a smart *** atitude, that I'm reading.....I find out his name....It's James Thayer..... I look it up on the computer .....He wrote a Thesis on "Quantum Immortality".....I started reading it.....it was good!....I've found a lot of things related to what I'm hearing......"They" have found out how good My abilities are and "they" are not going to leave Me alone, now.....I have to get a camera so My wife can record this sound that comes from My head, sometimes its music she say's, sometime like last night she said it sounded like what a UFO would sound like? Its a longer story.....
I forgot to tell the cure's....If You hear these sounds You are on a program.....More than likely comes from satellites and or other species( don't pop your pants....Synthetic telepathy is the middle ear or pennial glands in your head.....the program is name  the catagory of "people" or "species" ,if, you have the "vision ability".....If "they" sing you might be able to see "they're" mouths move or speak?....That is the direction the signal or wave is coming from......Certain ELEMENTS block the link...316L stainless steel is non-magnetic and in your imagination a stainless steel powder hand gernade going off in front of that mouth will kill the signal..what else?....vertical polarity changes the way they receive your thoughts.....seems to work?....if you hear THEM ask,"what year is it"? That means that "THEY" are in another demension of time.....Ask yourself "what happens to time after 186,000 mph....or sooner? Maybe this will give you a better idea of what is going on?  
I forgot again, What's your body made of? Water? How much water 60-70%? Does lazer penetrate water?Laser Listening?Neural Decoding?University of Stanford.....Read what I'm Thinking? Telepathy -"Extra Terestial" Technology
I am the exact same was as well. I've always been curious as to why.  
Don't distress yourself unnecessarily with fears of illness or the supernatural. Your perceptions may be just part of having a normal imagination. Think about how from her bed late at night a lady may hear the closet air filter, condensate being flushed down the central air system drain pipe, a running toilet, air and street traffic, her snoring spouse, his CPAP, crickets outside, her own breathing and heartbeat, her dogs shifting about on their bed, and so on. The pitches and rhythms of the background white noise may be shaped by her imagination into recognizable patterns as she starts to dream. The reason this experience is affected by one of her ears being pressed against her pillow is that this affects her perception of ambient noise. Another way to think about it is that the human mind constantly seeks order and pattern, and sometimes perceives them where they don't actually exist, like the face of the man in the moon. It's also related to how water running in the kitchen sink or in the shower may sound like the doorbell or a ringing telephone.
I have had the same thing going on while I'm trying to sleep. When I put my right or left ear on the pillow I hear the noise but when I take my ears off of the pillow the noise stops. I usually gay this when I'm really tired but when I lay down when I'm not tired I don't hear the noise. I joined this site because I have sleeping problems and this is one of the things that prevent me from falling asleep. Anyways thanks for posting this because I don't feel alone anymore.
Thank you for giving me insight.  I've heard the music in my pillow off and on all my life and I'm 50 years old.  Though now I am starting to see things when I can't keep my eyes open all the way.  I'm also talking in my sleep and right before sleep.  I catch myself doing it and my husband is getting worried.  I thought about mentioning it to my doctor but he's real young and I think would dismiss it and laugh at me.  But you have given me a different avenue to go down for answers.  Thank you so much.  Sleepy in New Orleans
Hello to all of you....I too have this problem when I sleep with one ear on a pillow...however, it started as a muffled, bass sound (like the neighbor's stereo, bose radio, etc....)  Now I hear "hispanic" type music (really!!!). And then vicious, vicious headaches with shoulder and lupper arm pains (both arms).  Here is what I have started doing...before I go to bed,   I lie on my back... flat on the floor with arms outstretched and place my head sideways (look to the left side) and stay that way for 5 minutes (don't move)...then shift only the head to the right (looking to the right side ) for another  5 minutes.  Then get up sit with a straight back,  head/neck  straight...looking ahead for 30 seconds!  It should help!  Take care, Gabrielle
Mine sounds like one of those little transistor radios when you were a kid.  Sounds like it is in the wall, or a mile away.  I can't hear words or lyrics, just that there is music......???
I have heard music for years upon awakening or sleeping, it is a hypnagogic hallucination, medical not psychiatric, part of the nanrcolepsy. The music I hear now gets better and better as time goes on, nothing like the junk on the radio... Heavenly music ;)
I have the exact same problem! I'm only 19 and I just began hearing the muffled rock music within the last year. Over the summer I heard it 5 or 6 nights in a row, but I haven't heard it much since then- it's very sporadic. However, I lucid dream constantly and have remembered my dreams every night (and in great detail) since I was extremely young. These are probably linked in some way... Also, a lot of you are mentioning having headaches as after hearing this music or being on medication for migraines, but I've never had a headache in my life (which I always thought was pretty weird). Does anyone else with this problem have incredibly vivid dreams?
I also hear music. And it's not one particular kind of music; I hear classical, waltz music, rock, country....etc. It kind of freaks me out at times and I wonder if I am crazy or if I am going crazy.
Thank you internet, thank to you I can realize I am not the only one to experience that.

Some of you is talking about this as a "problem", I disagree. It's amazing to hear what our brain is capable.

It's been several month I hear music in my hear, all kind, and sometine with voices, even if I can't distinguish lyrics. It I try to focus on it, it fades away. If not, then as the images are scolling in my head as I getting asleep, it gets louder and it happened to awake me once because it was too loud!

If only I could remember them at the morning, if only I was a musician I would records it. These songs are coming from nowhere and they are amazing, and I am not even a musician!
So after your doctor diagnosed you did whatever treatment he/she help with the auditory hallucinations?
Same thing but I'm twelve. I'm scared. I hear radio talk shows in my head but my brain interprets it as around sound. I asked a family member if they could hear the music as well and they all laughed at me. When the talk show goes to the song I can hear every lyric and the exact singers voice. HELP
I thought I was going crazy.....which I might be :) I hear music when I lie down and have one ear on my pillow. And same thing happens as Chimyers, it goes away when I lift my head. I've been under a tremendous amount of stress, not sleeping, anxious, etc.... Sometimes I can hear it when I'm not lying down. It's like an old radio that needs to be tuned into the right channel for less static. I can't decipher what is played but it's music.