Sleep Disorders Community
Hearing voices etc when half asleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hearing voices etc when half asleep?

I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and panic attacks, and it is starting to affect my sleep. I have undergone severe amounts of stress in the last month or two. For the past few weeks, I have noticed that I am hearing things right before I nod off. It usually isn't so bad - maybe a knock at the door. But last night, I woke up quite anxious. I tried to go back to sleep, but as soon as I was about to, I heard a very loud and vivid voice saying, "hello!" I'm so scared about this. I'm worried that I am now developing schizophrenia or something. Would this have any other explanation? Perhaps high amounts of stress and disturbed sleep? On a good night I can only get around 6 hours, and I'm constantly waking up during the night. I'm on meds - 50mg sertraline which I started nearly 2 weeks ago, and 2.5mg of olanzapine for anxiety. Please help, I'm so scared that I'm going mad and will never sleep again!!
Are You seeing a regular therapist'?...
It is definately something that needs to be mentioned to Your doctor or therapist best if it was the doctor who prescribed the medication and has a rough idea of Your medical History.
Try not to panic, it will not help.
I agree with everything Princessdaniella said,but I would add. That it could also be that your starting to go to sleep and in that half and half state you're starting to dream, but because your in a time in your life. That your anxiety is so high you are jolted awake making it seem like you heard the vioce that was in your dream. I hope that makes since to you. You should definately see your Dr, and find out if it's a side affect of the medicine.
Thank you for your feedback :)

I have a therapist/counsellor, and I've been such a collosal mess today that I had to call her. She thinks it is both the medication and the stress. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow and explain what's going on - I hope there's a good explanation to this. Angeleyes1015, yes - what you said makes sense and I'm praying that it was a voice I heard during sleep and not an actual hallucination. I definitely have a lot of instances where I'm half asleep/awake and am still dreaming, but usually it's easy to distinguish if you know what I mean.
i gt the same things whewn im extra tired or didnt sleep well the nite b 4..i will be dozing even and hear a loud noise..just noises..sometimes i hear voices but only people i know..or have been thinking about....yes im glad you posted this lol...but ur not crazy..im bipolar among others..i may be..

it dont happen when i go to sleep at nights its only during a afternoon nap..