Sleep Disorders Community
Help! I'm a very heavy sleeper!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Help! I'm a very heavy sleeper!

Hi. I think that I might have a sleeping disorder. I can sleep for 13 hours or more if I want or need to, and almost nothing can wake me up. This scares me, I can put 10 alarms on and not even notice them ringing. My parents can try waking me up like 5 to 10 times and I usually (according to them) say that I'm awake and so on, the scary thing is that I dont remember them trying to wake me up, and I definently do not remember replying when they try to. A few weeks ago an hour before school I put on 7 alarms so that I could take a 30 minute power nap on the COUCH before going to school, then I put the alamrclock right next to my ear. Three hours later I woke up in my BED! That is like 10 meters away and through a door from where I fell asleep! How is that even possible? I don't even remember walking to my bed! People can also call me and ring the door bell several times while I'm sleeping without waking me. Is there something wrong with me, or am I just a very heavy sleeper?
Have your parents tried physical contact, shaking you, putting a cold wash cloth on your face, or something like these?  If not, ask them to try  to see if that accomplishes a wake-up for you.

How good is your hearing?

Do you have other experiences of waking up somewhere other than where you believe you went to sleep?  If so, you must be sleep walking, and if chronic I would think someone would see you in the activity.

Do you feel rested when you wake after 8 or more hours of sleep?  If not there may be other problems that are preventing you from getting quality ouot of your sleep time.